Editor picks: 8 books to read this summer

After a long, difficult semester of projects and exams, you may not want to face a book until next semester rolls around. But if you’re anything like me, you look forward to using that Kindle that is still sitting in the same place on the shelf as it was last summer. 

It is time to dust off that e-reader and download some new books for the days of relaxing on beaches, traveling and lounging around the house. Here's a list of some classics and new reads for you to get lost in this summer.

"Cloud Atlas" by David Miller

This postmodern novel’s indulging adventure, detailed character list and twisted plot will leave you questioning your current philosophical beliefs and scientific speculations. Although it was adapted into a movie in 2011 starring Tom Hanks and Halle Berry, this book draws as clear of a picture with words as it does on the big screen. "Cloud Atlas" discusses reincarnation, reality, identity and the fundamentals of life and will leave you prepared to face your future, or at least curious about it.

"This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Most everyone has read or at least heard of "The Great Gatsby." However, Fitzgerald has some other golden novels out there that are worth a read. This book takes place circa World War I and examines the greedy lives and status-seeking morality of post-war youth. 

"Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami

This classic novel is a nostalgic story of loss and sexuality based on the life of a man reminiscing on the days he went to college in Tokyo in the late '60’s. It's a superstar novel in Japan and has become quite popular in the U.S. With barely 300 pages, this book is a quick read and deserves a top spot on your reading list.

"1984" by George Orwell

This book probably doesn’t need much of an introduction. If you have never heard references of the Orwellian era, than this might be a read for you. This classic novel tells of a world of perpetual war, omnipresent government and dictatorships in the future. It is full of relevant metaphors about society and common issues that have recently been brought into the media.

"Beloved" by Toni Morrison

This American novel tells the story of a slave who escaped the South in 1856 and is full of twists and heartbreaking testimonies. Some may not be able to stomach the honesty of this book, but if you are one of the strong ones, it is worth the read.

"The Art of Happiness" in a Troubled World by The Dalai Lama

This book consists of a series of interviews with the Dalai Lama about life morals, lessons and ideologies that can benefit a person when making huge transitions in life. As college students entering the “real world,” this read is an enlightening addition to the list. 

"Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee  

On July 14, 88-year-old Harper Lee will release "Go Set a Watchman," her much anticipated sequel of "To Kill a Mockingbird." If you haven’t read the first coming-of-age novel, you should catch up and to understand where all the hype about the new one is coming from. After such a classic, Lee is expected to produce another excellent story. 

"The Book of Unknown Americans" by Cristina Henriquez

This book is a must read. It tells the story of a family of Mexican immigrants trying to make a life in America. The story definitely strikes an emotional chord but will also open your eyes to a perspective that you otherwise would not have a chance to see.