In Brief: April 13

Driver facing 8 charges after fatal accident Saturday in Columbia

A 30-year-old Elgin man has been arrested and charged with felony DUI following the death of a Columbia woman in a three-car accident Saturday afternoon, according to The State. 

Arthur Rios Torres fled the scene following the collision, according to the Columbia Police Department. Torres initially rear-ended a car which then hit a third car being driven by Roxina Howell Mack.

Mack, 61, of Columbia died due to blunt force trauma caused by the accident, according to Richland County Coroner Gary Watts.

Torres has since been charged with felony DUI involving death, habitual offender: third offense, hit and run involving death, hit and run attended vehicle with injury, failure to give information and render aid, failure to report an accident involving death, no driver’s license and driving under suspension, second offense.

Man found shot in Bi-Lo parking lot

Police are looking for answers in regards to a man who was shot in the parking lot of a Bi-Lo on the 9000 block of Two Notch Road on Saturday, WLTX reported. 

According to Sargeant Kevin Lawrence of the Richland County Sheriff's Department, a man was found with a gunshot wound at the Bi-Lo. Police, however, believe the man was shot somewhere in the vicinity of the 1900 block of Woodfield Drive, rather than outside the supermarket.

The victim was transported to the hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries. Police believe there is some form of relationship between the shooter and victim.

Blue Angels earn their wings at MCAS Beaufort Air Show

On Thursday, the Navy Flight Demonstration Team's Blue Angels took the crowd by storm during the Air Show at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, according to The State. 

The main goal of the Blue Angels and the air show is to allow the military to showcase its pride and professionalism.

The air show also included master aerobatics pilots, a variety of aircrafts on display and several Marine aviation demonstrations.

"Air shows like this allow us to show the public what equipment the military has and how we use it to keep them safe, in a family-friendly environment," Staff Sargeant Darrell Rich said.