In Brief: April 7, 2015

Fraternity vows legal action after Rolling Stone’s discredited reporting

A University of Virginia fraternity announced that it plans to pursue legal action against Rolling Stone after they published an improperly researched story about a rape on the university’s campus, The Los Angeles Times reported.

Rolling Stone recently retracted and apologized for the November story that exposed an alleged gang rape at the university’s Phi Kappa Psi chapter after the Columbia Journalism School found flaws in the story.

On Sunday, the magazine removed the story from their website and replaced it with a report from Columbia’s journalism program that had found the lack of journalistic procedure in the magazine.

The fraternity plans to pursue “all available legal action” against the magazine.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Woman charged after April Fools Joke went awry

Laural Coleman, a 55-year-old South Carolina native, was charged with breach of peace after she told her daughter that she was caught in a bank robbery, WLTX reported.

Coleman called her daughter from First Citizens Bank in Richburg on Wednesday to tell her there was a man with a gun demanding money. Her daughter immediately called 911 to report the crime. Near the end of the call, the daughter received a text from her mother that said “April Fools.”

By that time, the Chester County sheriff’s deputies had surrounded the bank, believing there was a bank robbery occurring.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

USC Women’s Basketball returns to heartfelt reception, celebration

USC’s women’s basketball team returned home Monday to supportive and warm fans a day after they lost during the Final Four round of the NCAA tournament in Tampa, WLTX reported.

The team arrived back in Columbia Monday afternoon with Head Coach Dawn Staley. Several dozen fans formed a line as the players walked toward the hanger giving players hugs, high fives and thanks. Staley said she wasn’t — she thinks they have the “best fans in the country.”

There is a celebration planned for the team on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Carolina Stadium before the USC vs. Appalachian State baseball game.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor