In Brief: June 3, 2015

Sen. Lindsey Graham announces bid for presidency

South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham announced his plans on Monday to run in the 2016 presidential election.

Graham shared the announcement to a crowd in his hometown of Central, South Carolina, where he stated that America needs "peace through strength" in reference to many of the challenges the country finds itself facing.

The third-term senator centered his platform on foreign policy, discussing foreign competition directly.

The senator is directly opposed to the ways in which the Obama administration has handled foreign policy, especially when dealing with ISIS, Iran and Syria, saying "I want to be president to defeat the enemies trying to kill us, not just penalize them or criticize them or contain them, but defeat them."

Graham pointed out that while strength was necessary to defeat the enemies of the U.S., ideas and ideologies would play a significant role as well.

"The terrorists are selling a glorious death," Graham said. "We must sell a hopeful life. I've learned from my travels that a small schoolhouse in a remote region educating a young girl can do more damage to radical Islam than any weapon we possess."

—James Stewart, News Editor

FIve Points accident involving flipped SUV caused by DUI

Early Thursday morning, a drunk driver flipped an SUV in a Five Points parking lot and has subsequently been charged with a DUI, according to WLTX.

Edward Eric Huffman, 23, crashed into another vehicle after turning into the parking lot of the Harden Street Cook Out, after which his SUV flipped over.

Huffman was hospitalized, but has since been released. He has been charged with driving under the influence.

—James Stewart, News Editor

Man threatens pregnant woman with firearm, charged with domestic assault

Zachary Compson, 22, of Sumter has been charged with criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature by authorities after he allegedly threatened a woman and assaulted her, according to The State.

Compson, who was under house arrest at the time, contacted the female, who was six months pregnant at the time, to come over to his residence, according to Sumter Sheriff Department spokesman Braden Bunch.

During an altercation that arose over another woman, Compson allegedly threw the victim to the ground and aimed a handgun at her chest.

Paramedics cleared the woman, ensuring that both her and the unborn baby were not harmed.

Compson is now being held at the Sumter-Lee Detention Center.

—James Stewart, News Editor