"On fleek," more like on weak

First recorded by Urban Dictionary in 2003, the phrase "on fleek" means “smooth, nice, sweet.” After emerging as an Internet trend in 2014 by a Viner named Peaches Monroe, the term has been applied to eyebrows, clothes and even bacon sandwiches.

The phrase is meaningless. The phrase literally has no meaning. Above, I gave it the meaning of smooth and nice because that is the closest documented meaning I could find, but as for the actual phrase itself, there is no meaning. It amazes me how America can time and time again take something that has no meaning and turn it into a trend.

"On fleek" is also unoriginal. I am a stickler for originality, and if something is not original, I will call it out. I’m not saying that the words are not original. I had never heard the word “fleek” in my life until late 2014, when my roommate used it. But it's a remake of a remake.

Before everything was “on fleek,” everything was “on point,” which also means beautiful and orderly. And before that, we had actual words such as smooth, orderly and beautiful. Where did those words go? Did we forget what simple words are? Also, “on fleek” is the equivalent of an original movie being remade and then the producers and directors making a third remake of a third remake a few years later.

Finally, the phrase “on fleek” is really confusing. A phrase that got famous because of a six-second video and has no meaning at all, a phrase that is not original, is going to use the stupidest word possible — it sounds ridiculous. I keep wanting to say “flick.” "On fleek" does not live up to its meaning, which is technically meaningless. Eyebrows, makeup, selfies and sandwiches can now be described by one of the weakest words that the Internet has brought into existence. Everybody thinks that the phrase “on fleek” is on fleek, but I think it is just weak.