Parents Weekend 2015 Schedule of Events – Friday, Sept. 25

Friday, Sept. 25 

FOR REGISTERED ATTENDEES ONLY.

Visit a Friday Class at Carolina! These professors have opened their classes today for you to visit! Make sure to arrive early, and please sit near the back.

8:30–9:20 a.m. University 101, section C01, Capstone Keystone Room University 101, section S12, South Quad 168

9:40–10:30 a.m. Principles of Fashion Merchandising (RETL 268),  Carolina Coliseum 3020D University 101, section C02, Capstone Keystone Room University 101, section 11, East Quad 200A Oceans and Society (MSCI 210), Booker T. Washington 201 The Ocean Environment (MSCI 101),  Public Health Research Center 114

10:50–11:40 a.m. Environmental Pollution and Health (ENHS/ENVR 321), Green Quad Learning Center 102 Introductory Sociology (SOCY 101), Sloan 112 Principles of Fashion Merchandising (RETL 268),  Carolina Coliseum 3020D University 101, section C04, Capstone Keystone Room

Noon–12:50 p.m. University 101, section 20, Capstone Keystone Room University 101, section H01, Honors Residence Hall B110 University 101, section 198, Patterson Hall 104 University 101, section S11, Columbia Hall 107 Earth Resources (GEOL 205), Close–Hipp 008

1:10–2 p.m. University 101, section 35, Sims Hall 118 University 101, section 31, Patterson Hall 103 University 101, section 250, Sims Hall 119 Introduction to the Earth (GEOL 101), Jones 210

2:20–3:10 p.m. Hebrew Scripture (Old Testament) (RELG 301/HIST 492), Humanities Classroom Building 402 3:30–4:20 p.m. Cultural Geology (GEOL 110), Booker T. Washington 201

7–7:45 a.m. 

Yogalates 

Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, Room 127

A Yogalates session focuses on muscle strength, balance, body alignment, stabilization and flexibility using a hybrid of yoga and Pilates exercises. Equipment such as blocks, resistance bands, weights, fit balls and foam rollers also may be utilized to further enhance strength and balance. Your student must be a current Group X pass–holder, and parents will need to sign a waiver of liability and show your Parents Weekend nametag before participating. Sponsored by Campus Recreation

7–8 a.m. 

BODYPUMP ™ 

Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, Room 125 

The Les Mills BODYPUMP™ is a barbell–based workout that strengthens your entire body. This class challenges all major muscle groups by using the best weight room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for and fast! Your student must be a current Group X pass–holder, and parents will need to sign a waiver of liability and show your Parents Weekend nametag before participating. Sponsored by Campus Recreation

8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. 

Heard at Every Turn: Traditional Music in South Carolina 

McKissick Museum, 2nd Floor, South Gallery 

This exhibit features the many cultural groups that brought music traditions with them to South Carolina, how these traditions evolved since their introduction and what they sound like today. Exploring the role that music plays in South Carolina today, the exhibit examines the foundations of its various music traditions— from Gullah and old–time country to spirituals, gospel, Norteño music and bluegrass—tracking the individuals who passed these traditions on, the instruments they used and the new generations of musicians who are carrying music of the Palmetto State into the future. Sponsored by McKissick Museum, College of Arts and Sciences

8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. 

iCARE Center for Free Technological Support Drop–In 

1244 Blossom Street

Drop in and watch employees at the iCARE Center provide free hands–on assistance to students who have issues with their technical equipment. Technicians in the iCARE Center can assist with virus removal, software installation, hardware installation and more. Current students should never pay for technology assistance without stopping by the iCARE Center first. Sponsored by University Technology Services

8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. 

McKissick Museum: Invitation to Explore 

McKissick Museum, 1st Floor Gallery 

Just as programs at the university require many people to ensure successful experiences for participants, museums have a number of individuals who work behind the scenes. Every exhibit at McKissick is the shared product of many people who largely do their work anonymously—but this exhibit is different. In addition to presenting the varied parts of the museum’s collection, these cases introduce the permanent staff, revealing a little bit about why they do what they do. The exhibit includes some of the staff’s favorite artifacts, some never before exhibited, from the museum’s collections of Southern stoneware, sweetgrass baskets, gems and minerals, university history artifacts, political memorabilia, fine art, Baruch silver, textiles, art glass and Folk Heritage Award winner items. Sponsored by McKissick Museum, College of Arts and Sciences

8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. 

Natural Curiosity: The University of South Carolina and the Evolution of Scientific Inquiry in the Natural World

McKissick Museum, 3rd Floor 

Humans possess a fascination with the natural world around them. From the 32,000–year–old cave paintings of horses in France to the giraffe stickers today’s children paste into their activity books, we can see that humans are eager to see, touch, collect and understand nature. “Natural Curiosity” explores this curiosity about nature by asking questions about why we collect natural specimens and artifacts, how we display them and what they tell us about our relationship with and obligations to the natural world. Through an examination of approaches to building and maintaining the natural science collections at the University of South Carolina, this exhibit also offers a glimpse of the impressive array of specimens collected and displayed over the past 200 years for the purposes of education, research and entertainment. Sponsored by McKissick Museum, College of Arts and Sciences

9–10:15 a.m.

Guided Tour of the South Caroliniana Library and Horseshoe 

South Caroliniana Library, Horseshoe 

Take a guided tour of the South Caroliniana Library, the nation’s oldest freestanding college library. Built in 1840, the library holds special collections related to the history of South Carolina and USC. The tour will include some of the exciting historical highlights of student life on the Horseshoe over the past two centuries. Sponsored by the South Caroliniana Library

10 a.m.–4 p.m. 

My Carolina Alumni Association Ring Week 

Russell House, First Floor Desk (beside the Grand Marketplace) 

Stop by to learn about the Official University of South Carolina Ring tradition. Sponsored by My Carolina Alumni Association

10 a.m.-5 p.m. 

Parents Weekend Check-In 

Russell House Ballroom 

All registered Parents Weekend participants should check in to pick up their materials, including the Guide to Parents Weekend, schedule of events, nametags, tickets and other goodies!

10 a.m.-5 p.m. 

Parent Resource Fair 

Russell House Ballroom 

While you’re checking in for Parents Weekend, visit with representatives from the University Bookstore at the Russell House, CarolinaCard, Carolina Dining, Fire Safety, Parking Services, Law Enforcement and Safety, Student Health Services, Student Life and University Housing. Registered for the Parents Weekend 5K? Pick up your race packet! Sponsored by the Office of Parents Programs.

10 a.m.–5 p.m. 

Student Athletic Ticketing Help Desk

Russell House, Golden Key Room (309) 

Stop by and speak with staff from Student Athletic Ticketing to learn more about getting student tickets for athletic events. Sponsored by the Student Athletic Ticketing Office

11 a.m.–Noon

Behind–the–Scenes Tour of McKissick Museum 

McKissick Museum, 2nd floor

Come explore the rarely seen treasures in the McKissick Museum’s massive collection. With more than 100,000 gem and mineral specimens, sweetgrass baskets, Edgefield pottery and even the first Cocky uniform, McKissick has something for everyone! Sponsored by McKissick Museum, College of Arts and Sciences

11 a.m.– 1 p.m.

Pep Rally 

Greene Street in Front of the Russell House

Catch the Gamecock spirit as Carolina takes on the Central Florida Golden Knights! Join Mic Man, the cheerleaders, the pep band and other special guests for this exciting event. You are sure to get excited for Saturday’s game at this pep rally that will include giveaways! Sponsored by Student Government and Gamecock Athletics

11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. 

Southern Cookout at the Top 

Top of Carolina, Capstone House 

Enjoy a traditional Southern cookout at the Top of Carolina, South Carolina’s only revolving restaurant, with a 360–degree view of the metropolitan Columbia area and the University of South Carolina campus. The cost is $12.95 per person (plus tax). Advance reservations are required. You can make a reservation at tinyurl.com/TopofCarolina. When you arrive at Capstone, take the elevator to the 18th floor. Sponsored by Carolina Dining

11:30 a.m. 

College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management Bistro Lunch with the Dean

McCutchen House, Horseshoe 

Families of students who are in the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) are invited to a special lunch with the dean and other faculty at the McCutchen House! You must have registered in advance. The cost is $10 for family members and $5 for your HRSM student. Sponsored by the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management

11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. 

Bistro Lunch at the McCutchen House

McCutchen House, Horseshoe 

Operated by the School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management, students prepare and serve lunch under the close supervision of the director and professional chefs. Enjoy this delicious meal with your family for just $10 per person. To make reservations, call 803–777–4450. Sponsored by the McCutchen House

Noon–1 p.m. 

BODYPUMP ™ 

Noon–4 p.m. 

My Carolina Alumni Association Parent Welcome Reception 

Alumni Center, 900 Senate Street 

Stop by and see the new state–of–the–art Alumni Center while you are in town! My Carolina Alumni Association will have refreshments available, and staff will offer tours of the new facility at noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sponsored by My Carolina Alumni Association

12:15–1 p.m. 

HIIT Fit 

Blatt P.E. Center 

If you are looking for a traditional interval/tabatta style workout, look no further! HIIT Fit is high intensity interval training at its finest. Classes may vary in structure based on the instructor, but you can expect to spike your heart rate and improve your cardiovascular fitness. Classes may utilize bodyweight movement, dumbbells, steps, resistance bands, glide discs, medicine balls or body bars. Your student must be a current Group X pass–holder, and parents will need to sign a waiver of liability and show your Parents Weekend nametag before participating. Sponsored by Campus Recreation

1 p.m. 

McCutchen House, Horseshoe

1–1:45 p.m.

Emerging Issues Regarding Alcohol and Drug Trends on College Campuses 

Russell House, Room 205 

This workshop will explore emerging trends and issues related to high–risk drinking, marijuana use and prescription drug abuse on college campuses. Current national, state and USC data will be presented. Additionally, this presentation will provide strategies for communicating with your student about difficult issues and supporting him or her in making responsible decisions as a Carolinian. Resources to help you encourage your student to engage in healthy, low–risk behaviors also will be provided. Sponsored by the Office of Substance Abuse Prevention and Education and the Office of Student Conduct

1–1:45 p.m. 

Help! My Student is Stressed. 

Russell House, Room 305 

Join Student Health Services’ Counseling & Psychiatry staff to learn how to identify signs of anxiety, depression and distress and the various resources on campus for dealing with these issues. Risk factors and skills training will be briefly covered, and parents also will have a chance to ask questions about mental health topics. Sponsored by Counseling and Psychiatric Services

1–1:45 p.m. 

Meet with First Lady Patricia Moore–Pastides to Discuss Diet, Exercise and Wellness on Campus 

Russell House, Room 303 

Join Patricia Moore–Pastides, the First Lady of the University of South Carolina, as she shares her passion for healthy cooking during this informative and interactive session. Ms. Moore–Pastides is the author of Greek Revival (University of South Carolina Press, hardcover, $34.95) and Greek Revival from the Garden (University of South Carolina Press, hardcover, $27.95), which focus on the time–tested Mediterranean diet and simple, delicious cooking. Her books present all new recipes focused on bringing the bounty of the garden to the table in easy and accessible ways. The First Lady will provide samples of one of her recipes and sign copies of her books after her presentation. You don’t want to miss this exciting and exclusive opportunity! Sponsored by the University of South Carolina Office of Special Events

1–1:45 p.m. 

Study Abroad: See the World!

Russell House, Room WTO (315) 

This informal session will provide information about the study–, intern–, volunteer– and research–abroad opportunities available to USC students as well as answer questions about credit, financial aid, scholarships and safety abroad. Also, families are encouraged to stop by the Study Abroad Office, located in the Close–Hipp Building, suite 453 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sponsored by the Study Abroad Office

1–1:45 p.m. 

University 101: Parent Edition 

Russell House, Room 203 

More than 80 percent of first–year students at USC participate in the nationally–recognized first–year seminar, University 101. To provide insight into University 101, this parents–only session of UNIV 101 will engage you in a classroom experience similar to what your student experiences! Come see how University 101 helps students successfully transition to the university and achieve personal and academic success in their first–year of college. Sponsored by University 101 Programs

1–4 p.m. 

Meet the Career Coaches 

Career Center, Thomas Cooper Library, Level 5 

Visit the Career Center and meet the career development coaches while enjoying coffee, cookies and conversation about career opportunities. Drop by to learn how the Career Center can positively impact your student’s experience at Carolina. Sponsored by the Career Center

2–2:45 p.m. 

Assisting Your Student During Academic Challenges 

Russell House, Room 303 

Do you want to help your student achieve academic excellence? We thought so! This session will assist parents in identifying signs of academic difficulty for students. Parents will walk away with knowledge of academic support programs at USC. Sponsored by the Student Success Center

2–2:45 p.m.

Russell House, Room 205 

2–2:45 p.m.

Preparing Your Sophomore Student for Success 

Russell House, Room 203 

Ever heard of the sophomore slump? Families who have students in their second academic year at UofSC should attend this session to learn about opportunities and pitfalls that students may face in their second year. Attendees will learn about campus resources that can help sophomore students and what questions they can ask to help their students navigate the sophomore year successfully. Sponsored by the Student Success Center

2–2:45 p.m. 

Study Abroad: See the World! 

Russell House, Room WTO (315) 

This informal session will provide information about the study–, intern–, volunteer– and research–abroad opportunities available to USC students as well as answer questions about credit, financial aid, scholarships and safety abroad. Also, families are encouraged to stop by the Study Abroad Office, located in Close–Hipp Building, suite 453 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sponsored by the Study Abroad Office

2-2:45 p.m. 

Undergraduate Research: How to Get Involved and Why It’s Important 

Russell House, Room 305

Come hear about the benefits of students engaging in undergraduate research! The Office of Undergraduate Research will share information about the office and its services, and a panel of student researchers will share their experiences. Research is a great opportunity for students of all years and all majors. Attend this session to find out how your student can get involved. Sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Research

2-3:30 p.m. 

Open House for the School of the Earth, Ocean and Environment 

Jones Physical Science Building, Room 108 

Families of students majoring in environmental science or studies, marine science and geology are invited to mingle with the faculty and staff of the department and tour the laboratory facilities. Sponsored by the School of the Earth, Ocean and Environment

2-5 p.m.

Leadership and Service Center Open House 

Russell House, Leadership and Service Center 

Visit the newly-opened Leadership and Service Center! This innovative space offers your students a place to get involved, learn leadership skills, give back to the community, connect with leaders and so much more. Take some time to meet the staff, explore the space and learn how students can utilize the services to craft their own college experience and leave their mark at Carolina. Sponsored by the Leadership and Service Center

2:30-3:30 p.m.

Career Planning at the Moore School of Business 

Darla Moore School of Business, Sonoco Pavilion

Interested in your business student’s future career prospects after graduation? Want to guarantee that your student will be fully prepared to “leave the nest” in four short years? Come learn about the exciting new career preparation initiatives facilitated by the Moore School’s Office of Career Management. Learn the secrets to what your student should be doing, as early as his or her freshman year, to begin to plan his or her successful career in the business world. Find out how you can assist with increasing your student’s level of engagement in the professional development opportunities that happen daily at the Moore School. Sponsored by the Darla Moore School of Business

3-3:45 p.m. 

Air Force ROTC Educational Session

ROTC Center, 513 Pickens Street 

Curious what life is like for an Air Force ROTC cadet? Find out at this session! Activities include an Air Force ROTC overview briefing, stories from cadets who recently attended summer internships and field training, a group leadership problem, as well as a question and answer session. Parents of current/prospective cadets are encouraged to attend. Sponsored by Air Force ROTC

3-3:45 p.m.

A Parent’s Guide to Student Housing 

Russell House Theater

You moved your student into his or her freshman residence hall, but what about the next few years? Off-Campus Student Services and University Housing will share ways to remain on campus, as well as  resources to aid students transitioning into off-campus living. Important information will be provided for parents who wish to assist their students in locating housing for the upcoming year. Sponsored by University Housing and Off-Campus Student Services

3-3:45 p.m. 

Getting the Most Out of USC: How Student Involvement Complements the Classroom 

Beyond the classroom experiences are key to a successful college experience. The Leadership and Service Center offers a multitude of ways for students to start their involvement journey. The LSC staff can help students get involved, connect with the university and understand what it means to be a Carolinian. Come learn more about how we help students think about their involvement and how it plays into their future goals while getting the most out of USC. Sponsored by the Leadership and Service Center

3-3:45 p.m. 

Serving our Diverse Students 

Russell House, Room 203 

Parents and caregivers of college students often wonder how they can help their college student succeed. If your student also identifies as a minority or as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, you may have additional questions and concerns about this new home away from home. The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA) offers a comprehensive list of programs and support services that help students in their personal and academic development and also in their understanding of others and themselves. Come to this session to learn how we collectively support our diverse student populations and strengthen your connection to the university and your student! Sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs

3-3:45 p.m. 

What’s the Big Deal About Sweet Tea? 

Russell House, ΟΔΚ Room (315) 

Welcome y’all! Are you curious about the “famously hot” environment your out-of-state student now calls home? Join us for all things Southern as we introduce you to the South, USC culture and traditions and a taste of Southern cuisine! You also will be able to connect with other out-of-state families and learn about how the Student Success Center supports your out-of-state student so he or she can succeed academically and socially at the University of South Carolina. So y’all come join us for fun, free food and plenty of Southern hospitality! Sponsored by the Student Success Center and Student Conduct and Academic Integrity

3-4 p.m. 

Mayberry or Mayhem? Public Memories of Guantanamo 

McKissick Museum, 2nd floor 

Are you interested in hearing about students’ outside-the-classroom learning experiences? Carolina students, staff and faculty will talk about their spring break trip to the Guantanamo Joint Military Base (GTMO), Cuba. The discussion will explore how study-abroad opportunities can lead to transformative experiences. The goal of the panel is to encourage audience members to think about what public memory is, how it relates to GTMO and how public perceptions compare to the reality of living at Guantanamo Bay. Sponsored by McKissick Museum, College of Arts and Sciences

3-4 p.m. 

Opportunities Abound in Public Health: A Drop-In 

Public Health Research Center, 921 Assembly Street, Lower Lobby 

Parents and students are invited to a reception to meet faculty and staff in the Arnold School of Public Health. Learn more about the undergraduate degrees in public health and exercise science. Sponsored by the Arnold School of Public Health

3-5 p.m. 

Pre-Professional Advising Open House 

Sumwalt College, Room 208 

The Office of Pre-Professional Advising staff will be available to meet with students and parents who are interested in attending pre-med, pre-law, pre-veterinary or pre-dental programs. Enjoy refreshments and learn more about the opportunities and resources that the office has to offer. Sponsored by the Office of Pre-Professional Advising

3-5 p.m. 

School of Journalism and Mass Communications Open House 

School of Journalism and Mass Communications, 800 Sumter Street

Come experience the brand new, state-of-the-art home of the USC School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Tours of the new facility and refreshments will be available. The school has nearly doubled its space, adding broadcast and photo studios, campaign rooms, expanded computer laps and a greenhouse television studio. Sponsored by the School of Journalism and Mass Communications

3:30-4:30 p.m. 

Capstone Scholars Program Reception 

Capstone, Campus Room 

Capstone Scholars and their families are invited to join Capstone Scholars faculty and staff members for a drop-in reception. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres while meeting other Capstone Scholars families and learning more about the initiatives your students will participate in on campus! Sponsored by the Capstone Scholars Program

3:30-5 p.m. 

Jewish USC Drop-in Reception 

Davis College, Room 216 

All parents and students with links to the Jewish community or an interest in learning more about the community are invited to join the Jewish Faculty and Staff Council for a drop-in reception. Learn about opportunities to connect socially with the campus Jewish community, meet Jewish leaders on campus and learn about Hillel and other Jewish organizations on campus. Share a moment and a nosh (bite) during this season of Jewish holidays. Sponsored by the Jewish Faculty and Staff Council

3:30-5 p.m. 

Top Scholars Reception 

Harper College, Gressette Room 

Parents and family members of Carolina Scholars, McNair Scholars, Horseshoe Scholars and Hamilton Scholars are invited to drop by for light refreshments and to meet the staff of the Office of Fellowships and Scholar Programs and the Honors College. Sponsored by the Office of Fellowships and Scholar Programs and the Honors College

3:30-5:30 p.m. 

Commitment to Caring Ceremony and Reception 

Williams-Brice Nursing Building, Auditorium (Room 231) 

The College of Nursing invites junior nursing students and their families to join us for this annual event. The Commitment to Caring Ceremony is a special event honoring junior students who have been accepted into the upper division of the nursing program. It is a meaningful ceremony symbolizing the significance of this step in their journey to becoming a caring and compassionate nurse. Families also will have the opportunity to tour the Simulation Lab, which puts students in realistic hospital scenarios and allows them to practice patient care skills before working in the real world. Sponsored by the College of Nursing

4-4:45 p.m. 

A Parent’s Guide to Student Housing 

Russell House Theater 

You moved your student into his or her freshman residence hall, but what about the next few years? Off-Campus Student Services and University Housing will share ways to remain on campus, as well as resources to aid students transitioning into off-campus living. Important information will be provided for parents who wish to assist their students in locating housing for the upcoming year. Sponsored by University Housing and Off-Campus Student Services

4-4:45 p.m. 

College of Education Instruction and Teacher Education Drop-In 

Wardlaw College, Room 110 

The College of Education’s Instruction and Teacher Education Department invites current students, family members and alumni to meet faculty representatives from the programs within the department. This will be a wonderful opportunity to connect with College of Education faculty members and ask questions related to the programs. Sponsored by the College of Education

4-4:45 p.m. 

Smart Money Management at USC 

Russell House, Room 203 

College poses new financial responsibilities and sometimes challenges. Financial stress can affect your student’s academics, so help your student keep that stress in check through smart money management. Learn how to help your student avoid financial pitfalls and learn all about free financial literacy resources to support your student’s financial success at USC. Sponsored by the Student Success Center

4-5 p.m. 

School of Library and Information Science Drop-In 

Davis College 

The School of Library and Information Science invites parents and guardians of students in the library and information science degree program to meet faculty, staff and current students at this drop-in reception. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the School of Library and Information Science

4-5:30 p.m. 

25 Years in the Southeastern Conference 

Moore School of Business, W.W. Hootie Johnson Performance Hall 

This weekend, the University of South Carolina is celebrating 25 years in the Southeastern Conference (SEC)! Join us for a panel presentation featuring three SEC commissioners who have served since Carolina accepted an invitation to become the 12th member of the SEC on Sept. 25, 1990. The panel includes Greg Sankey (current SEC commissioner), Mike Slive (commissioner from July 2002 to May 2015) and Roy Kramer (commissioner from January 1990 to June 2002). In addition, USC President Harris Pastides, who is currently chairman of the NCAA Division 1 Board of Directors, will be on the panel. Please note that limited seating is available as this event is part of the Thomas H. Regan Executive Lecture Series for sport and entertainment management students. Sponsored by the USC Department of Sport and Entertainment Management, Gamecock Athletics and NASCAR

4-5:30 p.m. 

Retail Management and Fashion Merchandising Reception

McCutchen House Patio 

Meet with the Department of Retailing faculty while sipping iced tea and enjoying wonderful treats at the historic McCutchen House. Learn about the internships and career placement opportunities, student groups and courses that make Carolina students extremely competitive in the marketplace. Sponsored by the Department of Retailing in the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management

4:30-5:30 p.m. 

Engineering and Computing College Conversation 

Swearingen Engineering Center, 1C01 Amoco Hall 

Families of engineering and computing majors are invited to join Dr. Jed Lyons, associate dean, to discuss the new challenges each semester brings. Most families and students meet Dr. Lyons during summer orientation, but likely much has changed in the lives of the students since then. In this session, staff will discuss the academic life of engineering and computing students from freshman to senior year. Families will learn about resources, strategies and opportunities for student engagement and success. Join the College of Engineering and Computing for an informal and informative conversation. Sponsored by the College of Engineering and Computing

5:30-7 p.m. 

President’s Welcome Reception 

President’s House, Horseshoe 

Stop by the President’s House between 5:30 and 7 p.m. to meet Carolina’s “first family,” Dr. Harris Pastides and Ms. Patricia Moore-Pastides, as they officially welcome you to Parents Weekend 2015! Visit the beautiful President’s House and gardens while enjoying a few hors d’oeuvres at this drop-in reception. Make sure to wear your Parents Weekend nametag! Sponsored by the Office of Parents Programs

6 p.m. 

Tomorrow Land 

Russell House Theater 

Enjoy this free movie with your family! This adventure film tells the story of a teen and a former boy-genius inventor who embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time. Students should show their CarolinaCard. Sponsored by Carolina Productions

7 p.m.

Men’s Soccer vs. New Mexico 

Eugene E. Stone Stadium 

Show your support for the men’s soccer team as they battle the New Mexico Lobos! Show your Parents Weekend nametag and receive $1 admission. Carolina students are admitted free with their CarolinaCard.

5:30-7 p.m. 

President’s Welcome Reception 

President’s House, Horseshoe 

7 p.m.

Women’s Volleyball vs. Kentucky 

Volleyball Competition Facility, 1051 Blossom Street 

Watch as the Gamecock women’s volleyball team faces the Kentucky Wildcats! Show your Parents Weekend nametag and receive $1 admission. Carolina students are admitted free with their CarolinaCard.

8-11 p.m. 

Carolina Beach Bash Strom 

Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, Pool House Entrance on Park Street 

Experience a Southern beach party poolside while enjoying great food and music! Dine on delicious Southern foods like shrimp and grits, pecan-crusted chicken, brisket sliders, banana pudding, pecan pie and much more! Bring your dancing shoes for one of South Carolina’s most enjoyable traditions – beach music. Play a game of corn hole with your family. Take a photo with your family in the photo booth. Visit with our beloved mascot Cocky. Get ready for a fun Friday night Parents Weekend tradition! Make sure to wear your Parents Weekend nametag as it is required to enter the event (and bring your wristband, if applicable). Enter the party at the white tent near the Strom’s pool house gate located on Park Street. This event is subject to change based on weather conditions. Sponsored by the Office of Parents Programs

9 p.m. 

Entourage 

Russell House Theater

Enjoy this free movie with your family! This comedy-drama serves as a continuation of the HBO TV series of the same name and follows Vince as he takes on a new career challenge – directing a movie. Students should show their CarolinaCard. Sponsored by Carolina Productions

Midnight 

The Avengers 

Russell House Theater Come enjoy the final Friday night midnight movie of the semester – The Avengers! This film is based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name and is full of action and adventure. Students should show their CarolinaCard. Sponsored by Carolina After Dark