Remembering USC alumna Alex Holmes

Alex Holmes loved music festivals. She’d go with friends and dance the night away, laughing and sporting a flower crown in her hair.

Alex died in the flooding that hit South Carolina last week. She was 24. She is survived by eight siblings, her father, grandmothers and scores of friends across South Carolina.

She danced everywhere she went. Her smile lit up room after room. She hailed from Greenville, but to her, the University of South Carolina was home. A 2013 USC graduate, she majored in business, was a member of Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity and her sister Katie said Alex’s blood ran garnet and black for the Gamecocks.

She was a bartender to her customers, a “mom” to her friends and an all-around vivacious person. Hospitality was her second nature.

“She took care of everyone,” Katie said.

In the days following her death, dozens of people took to Facebook to remember the friend they danced with, the sister they grew up with and the woman who made them smile so many times.

“Probably the nicest person I ever met.”

“We always had so much fun together and never had a dull moment.”

“You were truly a burst of sunshine and full of life.”

“Alex was one of the sweetest, friendliest and most genuine girls you could ever meet.”

“You were a beautiful person inside and out.”

They posted photos of her smiling with all her teeth and laughing with her mouth wide open. They shared stories of how she sent them into fits of laughter. Those who knew her briefly connected with those closest to her, brought together by memories of the woman they all knew.

After the funeral some posted again to write about how floored they were at the service’s turnout — hundreds of people came to say goodbye last week.

And it was only fitting that so many of them sported flowers in their hair as a tribute to the carefree woman they remembered.