South Carolina State Fair will go on

The South Carolina State Fair, running Oct. 14 to 25, is an annual event for Columbia that brings in revenue and provides locals with great entertainment.

Because of the major flooding that South Carolina has suffered in the past weeks, many wondered how this would affect the fair. There were concerns about whether the fair could continue on schedule, and whether attendance would be as good as usual. Gary Goodman, the general manager of the South Carolina State Fair, answered some of these concerns.

“The fair was very fortunate. We didn’t really have any physical damage on the fair grounds,” Goodman said. “Our campground flooded, but that’s fine now ... We have worked with DHEC to provide a very good plan for food safety, so we have adjusted everything for that. All of our entertainers have confirmed and we’re good to go with that.”

The state fair provides a unique opportunity for students to give back to the community, especially in terms of flood relief. 

“It’s a great time to give back, and it’s a great time for them to get involved to help others that are in need,” Goodman said. “It’s a great time to come to a fair because part of our proceeds will be going to that and just for them to look around and if they see someone in need, help them.”

The fair offers a unique experience for the entire community. It is a true southern experience, from the food and music to the culture. Stephanie Owens, the director of marketing and communications for the fair, gave many reasons for people to attend the fair this year.

“If you’re not from South Carolina, this is an experience completely unique to the state. People from the area say it is a huge part of the culture,” Owens said. “We have the largest art gallery display in the entire state. We have professional, amateur and student art. They should come out just to support local farming and artwork." 

This year, many college students are feeling the affects of the flooding, which has affected their view of the fair. Fourth-year early childhood education student Ashley Bezilla was asked how she thought the flooding was going to affect the fair this year.

“I think it could be good for people to get away from the tragedy that happened,” Bezilla said. “But also at the same time, we’re still in the grieving process because people died — not that the fair is ignorant to that fact. I don’t think the flooding is going to stop the fair from happening."