Crowd of thousands supports troops on Veterans Day 2015

<p>Veterans paraded down Sumter Street Wednesday afternoon, to the appreciation and applause of on-lookers. </p>
Veterans paraded down Sumter Street Wednesday afternoon, to the appreciation and applause of on-lookers. 

For the first time in what seemed like weeks, the sun was shining bright on Columbia on the morning of Veterans Day 2015. Thousands of South Carolinians flocked to Sumter Street, including people of all ages and, of course, United States military veterans.

The moments before the parade were like the calm before a storm — folding chairs were erected street-side, handheld flags were passed out and people peered over each other’s shoulders, anxious for something to begin. Countless groups of uniformed children on school trips sat on the curb and frantically waved their flags. One group of particularly young children started chanting: “Go USA! Go USA! Go USA!”

As the national anthem blasted over loudspeakers at the intersection of Sumter and Washington streets, the crowd turned to face an immense American flag hanging from a crane. Parents held their children’s hands, and uniformed military personnel solemnly saluted. It was a patriotic moment indeed.

When the motorcade finally began to creep down the street, the feeling of awe and pride still hung in the air. An emcee thanked and welcomed home the Vietnam Veterans of America, as did the opening banner. Then, what seemed like an endless stream of units, groups and supporters followed.

Fort Jackson soldiers, Vietnam Veterans of America, the Military Vehicle Collectors of South Carolina and several high school JROTC units were some of the notable groups that walked in the parade. Brent Able, a first-year chemical engineering student, was part of one of these JROTC units in high school, and he attended the parade to show his support.

“Veterans Day is just a day you say ‘thank you’ to all the people who gave up a lot more time than about any of the average day citizen,” Able said. “This is the first time I get to watch [the parade], and I really wanted to come and see it.”

Several local high school and military bands participated in the parade, which served to liven up the atmosphere. Various support groups waved and shouted "Happy Veterans Day" from floats and vehicles down Sumter Street.

Other groups that were recognized included the Richland County Sheriff’s Department and the Columbia fire and police departments, who honored a recently fallen member of their own, Officer Stacy Case.

Robert Middleton, a United States Army veteran wearing an Army T-shirt and Iraq Veterans cap, stood at attention even at the end of the parade.

“I spent my adult life serving,” Middleton said. “I did 24 years in the regular army. It means everything to me. I wanted to be a soldier from the time I was a little kid.”

As one of the biggest Veterans Day celebrations in the Southeast, Columbia’s parade was brag-worthy.

“I enjoy seeing all the active duty and the past veterans,” Middleton said. “Everything is just really enjoyable.”

One retired Army officer, Danny Medders, stood towards the end of the parade and watched with a grin on his face. He attends the parade every year and only had one thing to say: “It’s a great day to be a veteran.”