Job ideas for winter break

A Claire's test/prototype store inside Claire's headquarters in Hoffman Estates, Ill., on June 5, 2015. (Michael Noble Jr./Chicago Tribune/TNS)

With a solid three-and-a-half weeks off for winter break,most students are excited to rid themselves of books and homework. However, usually a week or two into the break, students become restless and — dare I say — bored.

These few weeks are a great opportunity to make a little extra cash between semesters. But because three-and-a-half weeks is not quite as long as summer break, job options can be difficult to sift through. Out-of-state students who travel home for break will not even be in the same state after break is over, making it impossible for them to keep the same job through the semester. Restaurants are often after employees who can work longer than a period of a few weeks, and they often hire previous employees before they acquire new ones. With that in mind, here are a few ideas to make some money to fund spring break trips, fun nights out and maybe a book or two.

Seasonal Retail: With the holiday season rush, many stores higher a few extra workers when they’re at their busiest time of the year. This is ideal for college students who want to earn a little money during their holiday break. With the promise of ending work when the spring semester begins, you can focus on maximizing work hours without getting sucked into working during school. And potentially, the store will want to hire you again when summer or another busy season rolls around. Extra experience in retail also looks good on a resume for potential restaurant jobs in the future, such as in the summer.

Catering Companies: Holiday parties are at full swing this time of year, and catering companies are often looking for another pair of hands to help out. Working for less formal catering companies would require minimal training, as well as a flexible schedule that would still allow time for family and friends. In addition, workers will have access to exclusive holiday parties and events, resulting in interesting stories to tell friends next semester.

Babysitting: As parents, family members and family friends are going out to do Christmas shopping or attend holiday parties, watching their children is an opportunity to make some serious money in a short period of time. Many families will want to hire the same babysitter more than once, so one babysitting job often turns into three or more. In addition, families recommend one babysitter to multiple families, resulting in even more steady jobs throughout the three-and-a-half weeks.

The break between the fall and spring semester is an excellent time to make some cash, build a resume and still have time to spend with family, friends and those delicious holiday cookies.