New Year's Resolutions for 2016

Every year, along with the rest of the country, I make the painful attempt to set an unbelievably vague goal that will inevitably be shoved under the rug when my other priorities take precedent. “Exercise more. Stress less. Make new friends. Save money. Travel.” These wannabe resolutions are doomed to self-sabotage before the first week of 2016 even ends.

I know there are other people with the same problem as me — they wake up on New Year's Day and realize that they were supposed to have an objective set for the next 365 days. Something that will make them better people, improve the environment around them or change their lives.

But we’re kidding ourselves if we think that we’re going to have more time, more money and less crap. So this year, I am vowing to be honest with myself, and that doesn’t just apply to the resolution-making itself — that IS my resolution.

Lies I told myself in 2015: “I studied enough for that test.” “It’s okay to eat another scoop of ice cream.” “Walking to class was plenty of exercise for the day.” “THIS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.”

Truths I will tell myself in 2016: “I need to study for one more hour.” “I don’t need anymore snacks.” “I’ll get on the treadmill for half an hour.” “I DESERVE BETTER.” Read the goals of some of the Arts & Culture writers for some ideas if you haven’t decided on yours yet — but take my resolution into consideration when you’re acting yours out this year. Don’t take BS from anyone, including yourself.

Olivia Reszczynski, Writer

Jumping out of an airplane doesn’t seem like a typical New Year's resolution, but it’s one step closer to being more spontaneous and getting out of my comfort zone. Too often I feel like I get stuck in a routine, especially during a busy semester. From flying to San Diego alone for the first time to showing friends the beautiful areas of the southeast in little road trips, my 2016 is going to be a year of new adventures. Engaging in unique experiences will give me different perspectives on life, and will keep me from being exhausted and bored of doing the same thing day in and day out. Trying new things and talking to new people will change my mundane routine into something new and interesting, preventing me from staying in a rut that I created for myself. I think now is an important time to try as many new things as I can, freeing myself from the boring routine of everyday life.

Rachel Pittman, Writer

In 2016, I want to reboot my old habit of reading for pleasure. Growing up, I always had my nose in a book. I spent my summers and holiday breaks with my favorite fictional friends. While in reality I was just in my bedroom or backyard, in my head I was able to travel to the far-off lands of Narnia, Oz and Alice’s Wonderland.

As I got older, my high school and college literature courses came to determine what I read. I was introduced to some fantastic literature through school, but I lost the magic of my childhood reading experiences when I would spend hours lost in a novel I had picked out myself at the library or the local Barnes and Noble.

This year, I am challenging myself to carve out a few minutes each day to read a book that I have chosen, a book that was not assigned to me by a syllabus or professor. I created a list of favorites to re-read and new novels to try in order to hold myself accountable to my resolution.

In 2016, I am excited to once again feel the bookish enchantment I experienced as a child and to lose myself in stories I am reading for pure enjoyment.

Andrew Martin, Writer

I have large and ambitious plans for 2016, but first I have to complete my final year of college. It’s been five years since I first arrived to USC as a freshman but it will finally end this May. So, of course, my first New Year’s resolution is to make sure I stay on top of my classwork so I graduate on schedule. USC has been great for the past five years, but let’s keep it at that.

Following that, I have, at least for me, exciting plans for my career in film. By the end of the year, I’d like to be moved into my new home in Los Angeles and begin pre-production on my next film. Sounds easy, right? There is tons of work to be done and months of planning to do. So my next resolution would be to begin preparations soon so I don’t fall behind, like I usually do.

Parks Beson, Writer

My resolution for the year of 2016 is to be more extroverted and outgoing. Being an introvert, I came to USC and immediately blended into the crowd. My idea for the next two years at the college was that I just have to keep my head low and try not to stand out. Now into my senior year of college, I have decided that this introverted lifestyle needed a change. Becoming more extroverted will allow me not only to broaden my social circle, but it will also allow me to become more interactive in the classroom and ask more questions if needed. I plan to adopt this extroverted and outgoing lifestyle by striking up a conversation with a fellow student each day, learning to be more comfortable in conversation with others. I also plan to engage in the classroom daily with the professor. This will not only improve my communication skills toward a professor but will also allow for a greater understanding of course materials.

Sarah Morse, Writer

As the New Year begins, take some time to reflect on past relationships. Reconnecting with old friends or mentors who have had a positive impact on your life can be extremely rewarding. Sometimes we fail to thank those who have helped us along the way, but it is never too late to reach out. With the myriad of technology and social media resources available, keeping in touch with old friends and colleagues is now easier than ever. Whether it’s getting in touch on Facebook or simply by picking up the phone, reminiscing with past companions can provide one with humor and helpful insight into the future.

Sarah Nichols, Writer

As my uncle explained to me, people are always going to remember the negative statuses you posted or the arguments you started on the Internet. You could also post cheerful tweets or status updates, but the negative moments are going to be the ones that stick out in others’ heads the most.

If you are constantly posting statuses about your personal life and drama, or about how much you hate your job or school, that is going to be the one thing people remember about you — “Oh yeah, he’s that guy who is miserable all the time.” Is that what you really want someone’s first thought to be about you? I think not.

If you are having a bad day or you are really mad at someone, just stay off the Internet. Take a walk and clear your head. Read a book. Do some yoga. You’ll notice that once you start sending positive messages out on your social media accounts, that you will begin to think more optimistically as well.