Five new shows to check out

As Spring Break approaches, many students seek to venture into the great unknown and explore new cities or national parks. However, many of us want to take advantage of the time where we can lay in bed, void of any responsibilities, and watch television to our hearts' content. If you are looking forward to being a couch potato, check out and obsess over these great new shows.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (The CW)

Superheroes are all the rage these days with Marvel’s Avengers dominating the silver screen. However, when it comes to prime time, it’s the DC franchise that rules. "Legends of Tomorrow" features an ensemble cast pulled from other DC TV shows “Flash” and “Arrow,” but still manages to come into its own. The show combines drama, time-travel, action and adventure, and is sure to keep viewers on the edge of their seats.

Master of None (Netflix)

Any “Parks and Recreation” enthusiast can tell you of the genius and hilarity that is Aziz Ansari. The comedian’s newest show, “Master of None” is more toned down in its absurdity than his character Tom Haverford in “Parks and Recreation,” but he still manages to leave you with sore sides. "Master of None" tackles real-life issues, such as dating as a Millennial and being the child of an immigrant, but it does so while still using a comedic tone. The show had a hit first season after being released straight to Netflix and is definitely worth the binge watch. 

Angie Tribeca (TBS)

Rashida Jones channels Andy Samberg in “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” in her own new cop show “Angie Tribeca.” Written by the dynamic married duo of Steve and Nancy Carell, the show doesn’t take itself too seriously—or seriously at all. It was released in unusual fashion, with the entire first season premiering in one day and then 10 more episodes in as many weeks. Although unorthodox, the premiere garnered a lot of attention, moving quickly through the rankings and becoming an overnight hit. 

Jessica Jones (Netflix)

"Jessica Jones" isn’t a show about your average, generic superhero. It’s dark and sarcastic and will suck you in immediately. The show features Jessica Jones, an alcoholic, antisocial private investigator who happens to have super powers, but is reluctant to use them for any good. If you’re tired of the same old stuff when it comes to superheroes — or you have never been a fan — this show will certainly change your mind. 

The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX)

The story of O.J. Simpson is one all Americans are familiar with, so it was no surprise to anyone that it would be made into a TV show. What was a surprise was the rave reviews it received. Cuba Gooding Jr. is a shockingly emotional O.J., and the supporting cast, including Sarah Paulson and David Schwimmer, work well together. The marketing for the show was brief and cryptic to build suspense, which evidently worked, seeing as the show has maintained a grip on viewers. If you are into crime thrillers or depictions of true events, "The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story" is a show you won't want to miss.