Gamecocks come out swinging against Winthrop

<p>South Carolina scored early and often against Winthrop.&nbsp;</p>
South Carolina scored early and often against Winthrop. 

South Carolina came hitting out of the gates to take down Winthrop to the tune of a 16-4 victory.

The offense exploded in the first, where the Gamecocks scored six runs, including a three-run home run by freshman TJ Hopkins.

South Carolina capitalized on Winthrop defense in the second to score two runs. Senior Marcus Mooney was hit by a pitch then advanced to second on a balk, leading him to score on an Alex Destino RBI single. The Gamecocks then used their running game to put pressure on Winthrop. Jonah Bride scored on a double steal, where he stole home and Destino stole second base.

The sixth and seventh innings were two more big ones for the Gamecocks. They scored a total of eight runs, which brought the score to 16-1 after the seventh.

The Eagles scored two in the ninth, but it was too late, as the Gamecocks had long since sealed the win.

Swingman Canaan Cropper got the starter, working three and two-thirds innings in his first start of the season. He gave up three hits and one run while striking out eight batters.

Winthrop starting pitcher Freddie Sultan suffered a hard loss, only going two-thirds of an inning, giving up six runs and three hits, walking two with no strikeouts.

Tyler Haswell got the win for the Gamecocks with his three solid innings of relief. He gave up two hits and one run with one strikeout to allow the Gamecocks to extend their lead.

Eight of the Gamecocks starting lineup recorded a run in the win. 

No. 15 South Carolina will host Penn State this weekend and is looking to stay undefeated.