Tradeversity app facilitates student trade on campus

Tradeversity is an app that allows University of South Carolina students to sell and buy goods and services right on campus, without the inconvenience of shipping costs or the dangers of meeting up with strangers. The app is available on iOS and Android. 

“Tradeversity is essentially a place for USC students to buy, sell, trade and also we just introduced rentals and services,” Tyler Diaz, a second-year computer information systems and Tradeversity employee, said. “We’re just making it easier on them to buy and sell within their community.”

The app is powered by USC students, for USC students. Alumni Mike Meyers and his brother co-founded the company right here on campus.

“We’re actually working with students,” Meyers said. “The reason why we power the company as a student company is because we want to build something that’s relevant to our customers and our users.”

Diaz said the member profiles are used as an accountability method to ensure the safety of all buyers and sellers. By communicating through the app, members interact to sell or buy goods and services from other USC students.

“The big thing that we’re going for is that you have your marketplace right here on campus,” Meyers said. “Why can’t you meet right outside of Russell House? You know who you’re dealing with and there’s transparency.”

The app stands out among other selling platforms such as eBay and Craigslist because it serves as a safer and more practical platform to buy and sell from.

“We noticed that a lot of students aren’t comfortable selling on Craigslist,” Diaz said. “Facebook posts get bumped down ... eBay takes a huge chunk (of your earnings).”

Tradeversity is free and only available for students with a “.edu” email address, and Meyers stresses the importance of safety among students.

“We’re really pushing for a safer way for students to make more money and to save money,” Meyers said. “And so safety is definitely the big thing that we’re going for, and it’s really the key driver between all of us working together and that common vision.”

While the safety and convenience of the app prove outstanding among other platforms, the impact it makes on students goes further than extra pocket change.

“What we’re really trying to do is help students make more money and also save money, because we’ve all been there,” Meyers said. “It’s a student company, but it’s also a legitimate company. Students are powering it, but we have payroll. We have real investors that are involved. It’s no longer a student project.”

Fourth-year marketing student Vincent Felix said he makes iPhone cases in his apartment, and that with the Tradeversity app he can personally deliver them to other students on campus. He said the app has been a great resource for his business.

“My experience using Tradeversity has been great,” Felix said. “Tradeversity has bridged that gap for us to connect with students here and is also helping us achieve our mission.”

Tradeversity is in the process of expanding to other campuses. The app has already reached four other college campuses, including Virginia Tech and Clemson.  Meyers said their goal is to reach 15 to 20 other campuses by the end of 2016.

“The key thing that we’re really going for is we want to make a safer marketplace for students," Meyers said.