6 songs that sound like vacation

MGMT arrives at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on Sunday, January 31, 2010. (Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Spring break is a time to relax and have fun. Here are six songs to kick off your spring break soundtrack — whether you're going to be tanning at the beach, hiking in the mountains, exploring a new city or staying home to get some rest.

"House of Gold" by Twenty One Pilots

Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun came together as “Twenty One Pilots” in 2009 and ever since have been consistently releasing alternative pop hits. They are a self-made band with genuine intentions, and their music is unique. "House of Gold" puts an indie twist on the typical pop song. Although the meaning of the song can be interpreted as sad, it has both a happy tone and an optimistic message, which is perfect for days spent relaxing on the beach or in the mountains.

"Kids" by MGMT

Although many people already know MGMT and their popular song "Kids," maybe it’s been a while since you last heard it. This throwback is very apt for spring break. The rhythm and lyrics come together in such a persuasive harmony that you will wish you were a kid again. Spring break is the perfect time to reminisce about your childhood and leave all your responsibilities behind. This song is the perfect choice to listen to while playing sports, so even if you’re not celebrating in the tropics, don’t rule this hit out of your spring break playlist.

"Doses & Mimosas" by Cherub

Who knew such a depressing topic could be expressed through such a contagiously upbeat song? This is the perfect song to celebrate spring break. Whether you first arrive at spring break with hopes to forget your “haters” back home, or you need a pick-me-up towards the end of your trip after too many tiring days, this is an excellent song to dedicate to the people in your life that, despite their best efforts, just can't get you down. 

"Roses" by The Chainsmokers

This spring break, whether you’re fleeing the country or you’re homebound, you can experience paradise. It might be easier to do so in The Bahamas, but even in your small town, a new romance, a few drinks or whatever you choose can be your own “paradise.” The Chainsmokers' cheery and electronic song “Roses” can help you appreciate these small things so much that you will feel ecstatic. This song takes the simple aspects of life and creates dreamlike illusions no matter where you spend your vacation.

"Electric Feel" by MGMT

MGMT’s “Electric Feel” can help you persevere through the worst part of spring break — those tedious last-minute workouts. "Electric Feel" is another upbeat and electronic song that will push you to complete your exercise goals. The gym can be such a dreary place, but the empowering lyrics such as “Oh you can do it all the time / Plug it in and change the world / You are my electric girl” make for a happy and motivational song, especially when you’re on the treadmill.

"Ditmas" by Mumford & Sons

Mumford & Sons, the British band well known for its twist on folk rock music, often addresses failed young love and common relationship battles, making this band’s music extraordinarily relatable. However, the outstanding concept of Mumford & Sons songs is the sedative tone that calms the listener down, even when they're singing about such an angering or discouraging subject. In the recent Mumford & Sons song “Ditmas,” the instrumentals are thought-provoking, relatable and hypnotizing: a great listen when you’re napping on the sand or swinging in your Eno.