Listicle: Best questions to ask your advisor

It’s that time of year again. The spring semester is coming to a close, and as waves of tests, papers and assignments hit, you might forget that it's time to schedule those advising appointments. Scheduling itself can be a stressful process, but your advisors are there to help. Here are some of the best questions to ask your advisor to make sure you’re getting all the information you need.

What classes should I take?

This may seem like a no-brainer question, but it’s actually an important one to ask. It is incredibly helpful to see what classes you’ve already taken and the ones you still need to graduate. There are academic bulletins for all majors, and not only will it help you plan for the next semester, but all the semesters after that, too.

How many more semesters do I have until I graduate?

You might think you know the answer to this question, but prerequisites and required basic classes can mess you up quickly. This is where the planning comes in. You might have more classes to take than you expected, and this can take up extra money as well as time. It's good to have a clear plan and an understanding of how long it will take you to get that diploma.

Would you suggest online classes or in-person classes?

There are many online classes offered at USC, but is it the right option for you? That can be a hard decision when making your schedule. Talk to your advisor about how online classes are run and ask their opinion of online courses. Ask them what they know about the professors teaching the classes you're considering. This decision could make or break your schedule, so it’s great to know all the pros and cons before registering.

Can I take summer classes?

A college course load can be extremely intense. A great way to lighten the load during the school year is taking a few summer courses. USC has a good amount of summer course offerings, but what if you don’t have the option to stay in Columbia? There are ways to get credit throughout the summer at your local community colleges, other universities and even online. Be sure to ask your advisor about these options.

How do I switch majors?

If you're feeling unsure about your path of study, you're not alone. Studies show that 50 to 70 percent of college students will change majors at least once. Even more might change majors at least three times before graduation. If you feel dissatisfied with your major, don’t be afraid to ask your advisor how to go about changing it.

When should I start looking into study abroad?

Studying abroad can be one of the most fulfilling college experiences, but there are so many different programs that it can be difficult to find the one that's right for you. Your advisor probably knows at least a little bit about what sort of programs are available to students in your major, so if you're even slightly considering studying in another country, ask about it at your appointment.

What about internships?

Internships are incredibly helpful, not only as resume builders, but also as a means to help you figure out what you want to do after graduation. But when is the right time to get one? If you’re worried about when to start looking into internships, ask your advisor. They can give you advice and put you in contact with the right people on campus to talk to about internships.

How do I even find internships?

So you’ve decided you want to have an internship, but where do you start? USC offers many services to help their students get internships on the local and national level. Speak with your advisor about your interest in an internship and they can help guide you to the right resources.

What else should I be thinking about and planning at this point in college?

Whether you're a freshman or a junior, it's important to know what you have left in terms of out-of-the-classroom requirements. Honors College students in particular have plenty to think about in this area, and students going into their senior year should be thinking about what comes next. USC has resources for pretty much everything, so take advantage of them while you can.

By asking these few questions, you can save yourself a lot of headache and running around. Your advisors are your biggest resource, so make the most out of your appointments.