Former football coach shares wisdom

<p>Harold White shared a note given to him by NFL football player John Abraham, thanking White for his influence.</p>
Harold White shared a note given to him by NFL football player John Abraham, thanking White for his influence.

For many years, the USC football coaching staff did not include African Americans. In 1971, Harold White became the first when he was appointed graduate assistant coach.

White worked at USC in various positions until 2007 and was familiar with several well-known athletes, including Heisman winner George Rogers and women's basketball player Shannon "Pee Wee" Johnson. White recounted details of his challenging childhood and shared lessons that he learned throughout his life.

"If you really want to feel good about something, do something for somebody less or somebody else, and do it for nothing in return," White said. "Always be as friendly as you can be to others regardless of who they are."

Because his father was absent for several years, White turned to his mother and his high school football coach for guidance. He said that one thing he tried to impress on all his athletes was the importance of a mother's pride.

"When Mama says to her son, 'Boy, you made me proud,' you can't get better than that," he said.

White's high school coach served as a father figure to him during his adolescence and was a strong source of inspiration in how he dealt with his own athletes during his career.

"What I always dreamed of is taking a child that's like Harold White and tell them, like Coach Bolden did with me, and say you can be somebody in spite of yourself," White said. "You can be somebody. Don't let circumstances determine your character.