In Brief: 3/15/16

Former South Carolina trooper pleads guilty in case of 2014 shooting

Former South Carolina trooper Sean Groubert pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and battery Monday afternoon in the case of a nonfatal shooting in 2014, WLTX reports. On Sept. 4, 2014, Groubert pulled over Levar Jones at a gas station on Broad River Road. Jones exited his vehicle, and when he reached back in to get his license, Groubert began yelling and fired several shots. One shot hit Jones in the hip, causing him to fall to the ground. The Public Safety department fired Groubert after reviewing a dash cam video of the incident. Groubert's lawyer told the court that Groubert is continuing to endure post-traumatic stress disorder and requested that he continue receiving treatment while he is detained. 

Richland County man charged with assault after fight with deputy

A Richland County man is facing assault charges after getting into a fight with a sheriff's deputy, WIS reports. Marvinyo White, 43, was trying to steal beer from a convenience store on Two Notch Road when the deputy arrived. White began to hit the deputy and continued to punch and kick him after he fell on the ground. A bystander intervened and managed to stop White long enough for the deputy to make the arrest. White was also held in contempt of court during his bond hearing Monday afternoon and was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Rock Hill mother charged after assaulting son with pepper spray

A Rock Hill mother doused her 14-year-old son with pepper spray because he didn't say "thank you," The State reports. Latoya Hughes-Austin, 34, has been charged with cruelty to children. The son told police that his mother sprayed him because he wasn't grateful after she bought him something at the grocery store. Hughes-Austin said her son was yelling and knocking things over in their house, but Hughes-Austin's mother said that the son was only talking under his breath as he went to his room.