John Jones pushes Gamecocks past Arkansas

No. 12 South Carolina claimed their first SEC series with a 6-2 win over No. 13 Arkansas Saturday afternoon.

After their 10-6 win Friday night to open SEC play, the Gamecocks kept the same lineup for Saturday’s game, hoping to continue their high level of offensive production.

The offense got off to another early start, scoring two runs in the first inning. Left fielder Alex Destino’s first inning single continued his 12-game hitting streak, while outfielder Dom Thompson-Williams’ walk continued his streak of reaching base in all 21 games so far this season.

The Razorbacks tied the game in the second with two runs, but that was all they could produce.

South Carolina remained quiet at the plate until the fifth inning. First baseman LT Tolbert had a scary moment to start the inning after getting hit in the head by a fastball. Fortunately, Tolbert was able to remain in the game and take his place at first after taking time to be examined. Designated hitter John Jones then sent a deep home run over the right field wall. The two-run shot was his fifth of the season and he now leads the team in home runs.

Shortstop Marcus Mooney came through with a two-out, two-run single in the eighth inning to give the Gamecocks some insurance runs.

Freshman right-hander Braden Webb worked a career-best 6.1 innings. His previous high was 5.2 innings pitched, which was last weekend against Charleston Southern. Webb tied his career high with seven strikeouts and held the Razorbacks to just three hits and two runs, only one of which was earned. Coach Holbrook was very pleased with the improvements Webb has made, especially since his loss against Clemson: “Braden’s a different kid; he doesn’t get fazed. He was better today than he has been his last couple starts from a command standpoint." 

Holbrook said that four walks is still too much but "It was a great line for him against a team that I think can really hit."

South Carolina is now 19-2 (2-0) and will go for the sweep on Sunday with freshman right-hander Adam Hill on the mound.