Road trip towns: Winston-Salem, NC

Situated near Greensboro, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, is a beautiful and diverse city with a charming, ornately designed downtown.

Downtown Winston-Salem offers delectable local restaurants and enchanting coffee shops that make great places to sit awhile and enjoy the cheerful atmosphere of the city. 6th and Vine is a wonderful place to visit for brunch, with an extensive menu including crepes, breakfast burritos and sandwiches, all of which are uniquely handmade by the kitchen.

An excellent lunch spot is Sweet Potatoes, a unique eatery that’s number one on Trip Advisor’s restaurant list for Winston-Salem. Featuring exceptional hand-crafted, Southern-inspired dishes, Sweet Potatoes' originality is sure to charm any palate.

A wonderful bakery to enjoy is Atelier on Trade, a French-inspired pastry shop with drip coffee made from high quality Counter Culture coffee grounds. Located on Trade Street in downtown Winston-Salem, Atelier features an open, spacious layout with antique decor and a friendly staff.

With live entertainment on weekends and its own locally roasted beans available for purchase, Krankies Coffee isn’t just a coffee shop. Recently transitioned from a coffee truck, the atmosphere is upscale modern with a vintage feel. Visitors can stop by for a beer, cocktail or even an entree from the shop’s full kitchen and bar.

Even if visitors aren’t looking to transfer colleges, a landmark location for Winston-Salem sightseeing is the Wake Forest University campus. With regal architecture and beautiful, blossoming foliage in the spring, the campus is a wonderful spot to walk about and enjoy the beauty offered by the landscape.

Perhaps because it is a bit smaller than other bustling cities, Winton-Salem is somewhat of a hidden treasure of North Carolina. Full of character and places to explore, this city offers equal, if not more, charming attractions than a bigger city.