South Carolina baseball begins conference play with win over Arkansas

South Carolina baseball kicked off SEC play and a key series against No. 13 Arkansas with a 10-6 victory. 

The game was hyped as a highly anticipated pitching matchup between Arkansas' Dominic Taccolini and South Carolina's Clarke Schmidt, but instead the two teams combined for 28 hits. The Gamecocks greeted Taccolini with nine hits and eight runs in the first two innings. To Taccolini's credit, he settled down after his nightmare start and worked four scoreless innings. Taccolini's ability to battle through six innings on a night where he lacked his best stuff or command allowed Arkansas to save its bullpen for later in the series.

Schmidt did not have the same pinpoint control that he has had in recent outings, but he did set a career record with 11 strikeouts. Schmidt's streak of 26 scoreless innings was broken up in the third when Arkansas catcher Tucker Pennell homered to left field.

Coach Chad Holbrook praised Schmidt and his transformation into a dominant Friday starter: "Clarke's a different guy this year than he was as a freshman. He is a different guy in many respects. He's gone through a lot — his family has gone through a lot. He's very mature. He worked extremely hard in the weight room. He's put on weight. He's added velocity."

Alex Destino got the start in left field and collected three hits, extending his hitting streak to 12 games. Over that stretch he has hit .457. 

The Razorbacks chipped away at South Carolina's lead with a four-run eighth inning. After inheriting two runners from Schmidt, Brandon Murray allowed a two-run single to third baseman Carson Shaddy and a home run to designated hitter Luke Bonfield. Unfortunately for Arkansas, their rally came too late.

South Carolina's lineup is really starting to get into a rhythm, and over the last three games they have recorded 51 hits. The Gamecocks will need to continue that trend tomorrow when they try to clinch the series. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.