Students advocate for mothers, children

USC student ambassadors for Save the Children Action Network will be leading a "Week of Action" that aims to raise awareness about dangerous conditions for mothers and children around the world, primarily through a screening of the PBS documentary "Half the Sky."

Although the movement is largely about empowerment, this week will focus on reducing the number of preventable deaths of mothers and children, especially in developing countries. The viewing  of "Half the Sky," which outlines the effects of women's and children's environments on their opportunities, will take place Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Green Quad Learning Center.

SCAN representatives are also trying to rally support for the Reach Every Mother and Child Act, a bill that aims to, among other things, decrease all preventable deaths of women and children to none by 2035. Many deaths in developing countries are due to treatable sicknesses such as pneumonia and diarrhea. Complications during pregnancy and childbirth kill hundreds of thousands of women each year.

SCAN student ambassadors plan a variety of advocacy events throughout the year. Several other colleges in South Carolina will be hosting "Weeks of Action" next week.