Column: Stevens deserving of NBA Coach of the Year

Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens on the side court  during the first half of their game against the Washington Wizards played at the Verizon Center in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014.  (Harry E. Walker/MCT)
Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens on the side court during the first half of their game against the Washington Wizards played at the Verizon Center in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014. (Harry E. Walker/MCT)

Despite Steve Kerr and Gregg Popovich respectively leading the Warriors and Spurs to unprecedented regular season heights, it is apparent that the Celtics’ Brad Stevens has most adeptly demonstrated his influence on winning games.

Stevens has willed a team comprised primarily of role players to a possible home-court advantage for the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Boston head coach has made water into wine with a team that ranks 23rd in field goal percentage and 27th in three-point percentage. He has remedied a team that can’t shoot with clever play-calling, defensive focus and pace of play — all of which are aided by great coaching.

Boston’s coaching staff has thrived at getting the most out of its players by incorporating a successful offense. Stevens has been praised for his after-timeout play-calling and his ability to attack the weaknesses of his opponents. The Celtics have found offensive success through passing and set plays, which explains their fourth-ranked assist percentage.

A notable victory was Boston’s takedown of the Warriors on April 1 at the Oracle Arena, snapping Golden State’s 54-game home winning streak. Stevens beat Golden State at their own game by pushing the pace, in which Boston ranks third in the league. Not only do the Celtics have one of the most fast-paced offenses, but also they rank fourth-lowest in turnover ratio per 100 possessions. Stevens has managed to control a beginner group while still being aggressive on the offensive front. 

Defensive successes have come by moving his men like chess pieces, most notably guard Avery Bradley. Great defense is a telltale sign of great coaching, and the Celtics rank fourth in defensive rating, which averages opponents’ points per 100 possessions.

Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas have never enjoyed so much success since being acquired by the Celtics last season and placed under the wing of Stevens. Thomas, the 5-foot-9 point guard, has career-highs in points per game (22.3) and assists per game (6.2), while also participating in his first All-Star Game. Crowder’s Most Improved Player campaign has gained some steam since achieving career bests in points per game (14.4), rebounds per game (5.1), steals per game (1.8) and field goal percentage (44.3 percent).

Although Popovich has had another record-breaking regular season, his Spurs have been less reliant on his coaching than on their arsenal of star players who double as on-the-court coaches. The team’s perceptiveness has been a luxury afforded to Popovich since molding his players to be court generals. Popovich has done a magnificent job getting the team to its current state and has been rewarded by winning NBA Coach of the Year twice in the last four years. However, for 2016, Popovich’s team was already suited for success with savvy veterans such as Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Boris Diaw and David West.

On the other hand, the Celtics players do not have the experience or talent that Popovich and Kerr have the pleasure of dealing with. The Celtics' average age is 24.4 years old, which is the youngest in the league. In contrast, the Spurs’ average age is 31.6, the oldest.

Great competition notwithstanding, which also includes Erik Spoelstra of the Heat and Terry Stotts of the Trail Blazers, Stevens has been an exemplary coach for a rebuilding team.