In Brief: 4/5/16

Five Points donates over $50K of St. Pat's profits to local charities

The Five Points Foundation is donating $54,500 to nonprofits around the Midlands from the money made from the St. Patrick's Day celebration, The State reports. Festival co-chair Amy Beth Franks said that over 30 charities and nonprofits that contributed to the St. Pat's festival will benefit. One of the beneficiaries is the One SC Fund, a program that helps the October flood victims, to which the Five Points Foundation donated over $2,000.

Teenage mother killed in York shooting

A 17-year-old mother was killed in a shooting early Sunday morning in York, the Associated Press reports. The victim, E'monnie Dixon, was shot by an unidentified gunman as she was leaving a house party. York Police Chief Andy Robinson said she was not the target of the attack. Her mother said that Dixon was a student at Rock Hill High School and the mother of a 2-month-old boy. Police have not determined the reason for the shooting, and no other injuries were reported.

Georgetown man pleads guilty to Myrtle Beach murder

A Georgetown man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for a murder in Myrtle Beach in February 2015, WBTW in Conway reports. According to a solicitor from the 15th Circuit, Edward Morris pleaded guilty to the fatal shooting of Garrey Sumter, whose body was found in a Denny's parking lot in Myrtle Beach last year. The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Solicitor Lauree Richardson and Assistant Solicitor Tom Terrell, both of whom are from the 15th Circuit Solicitor's Office.