In Brief: 6/16/16

USC hosts workshop for high school journalists

High school students looking to shape their investigative skills can attend a workshop at USC's School of Journalism and Mass Communications held by the Pulitzer prize-winning team from the Tampa Bay Times, the Charlotte Observer reports. Chris Davis, a USC alumnus and deputy managing editor for investigation and data at the Times, is an instructor at the workshop. The Times won their Pulitzer for their investigative reporting on the local Pinellas County public schools. The workshop is set to continue through Saturday.

Statehouse overrides moped bill veto

Gov. Nikki Haley vetoed a moped safety bill that, if it became law, would require moped drivers to wear reflective vests while driving at night and drivers under 21 to wear helmets. Haley vetoed the bill on the grounds that enforcing such requirements constitutes government overreach. According to WIS, representatives choose to continue pushing the bill on the grounds that moped drivers have lost lives due to automobile drivers' inability to see them at night and that as long as mopeds are not state-registered vehicles, citizens cannot be charged with DUI.

Charges dropped after Medal of Honor recipient's hit-and-run

Hit-and-run charges were dropped against Medal of Honor recipient Kyle Carpenter months after the December accident on USC's campus, The State reports. Carpenter was also charged with an improper turn for which he paid a $237.50 fine. Carpenter was not aware of the victim's injury at the time of the incident, but cooperated with police after he was notified. According to the 5th Circuit Solicitor's office, the 18-year-old victim did not want to continue with the case and dropped the charges.