Road Tripping: Pawleys Island, SC

With the smell of saltwater wafting in the warm summer air and fresh local seafood joints surrounding the small town, it's not hard to fall in love with Pawleys Island, South Carolina.

Although located less than an hour away from Myrtle Beach, Pawleys leaves the busyness of a big beach and offers a haven of peaceful relaxation.

When it comes to fresh seafood, Pawleys is a fantastic place to eat. Island residents frequent local places like Pawleys Island Tavern, a hole-in-the-wall spot affectionately called the PIT, for local seafood. Featuring items like the southern classic shrimp and grits, crab cakes and land fare such as steaks and burgers, the PIT is sure to please any palette.

To enjoy a day on the sand without the stress of overcrowding and commercialization, visit the island front of Pawleys and decompress in the peaceful atmosphere. The best beach spot is on the southern tip of Pawleys, where locals go to collect shells, walk and just enjoy the day.

For visitors that are seeking adventure or exercise, kayaking and canoeing are offered in Pawleys Island. Wildlife and nature tours are also a fun activity, offered through Black River Outdoors Center.

Pawleys Island is home to beautiful gardens and living pieces of South Carolina history. Hobcaw Barony is a plantation and 17,500-acre wildlife preserve that is the perfect place to visit for an adventurous afternoon. Huntington Beach State Park is another great option for a peaceful nature experience.

To unwind and find some souvenirs, take a shopping trip to the Hammock Shops, famous for the Pawleys Island Hammocks. The Pawleys Island Hammock is the original rope hammock — designed by South Carolina riverboat captain Joshua John Ward in 1889. In addition to clothing, visitors can purchase handmade grass baskets at other shops in the outdoor shopping area to remember a bit of the local culture.

Take a break from everyday life, enjoy a true treasure of a place, and escape to Pawleys Island.