In Brief: 7/15/16

France attack kills at least 84

During Thursday's Bastille Day celebration in Nice, France, a truck drove onto a sidewalk full of people. The truck went for over a mile, running over people, until the driver was killed by police, The State reports. Witnesses reported a horrific scene of mangled bodies strewn across the road. At least 84 people were killed in the attack, and many are still in critical condition. Officials are operating under the assumption that it was an act of terror. There were 17 USC students and faculty member in France at the time, but they were not in Nice and all are safe.

Fire station reopened after controversial Facebook post

The fire station on North Main reopened Thursday after being closed Monday following its captain posting on Facebook that he would run Black Lives Matter protesters over on the road. The captain was fired, and, according to spokesman Brick Lewis, the station reopened after firefighters felt safe enough to return.

Lexington County inmates infected with salmonella

Salmonella bacteria were found in samples collected from Lexington County Detention Center inmates, according to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. WLTX 19 reports that 131 inmates have contracted an intestinal illness over the last several days. The infection is believed to be contained within the detention center and not a public health issue.