4 video games perfect for a college residence hall

KRT PLUGGED IN STORY SLUGGED: GAMEPREORDERS KRT PHOTO (October 5) The Nintendo DS online service goes live in a couple of months, and the two lead games for the system - "Mario Kart DS" (pictured) and "Animal Crossing: Wild World" -- are sure to be popular. (gsb) 2005

“Super Smash Bros. for Wii U”

Platform: Wii U

Through many years and iterations, “Super Smash Bros” has remained one of gaming's most beloved fighting games, and, while it is argued amongst some of the more serious players, for many the Wii U version of the game is the best in the series. “Super Smash Bros.” allows players to choose one of Nintendo’s iconic characters and battle against their friends on stages taken from classic Nintendo series like “Legend of Zelda” and “Pokemon.” Players also have access to several non-Nintendo characters such as Mega Man, Pac-Man and, with an extra purchase, Cloud from “Final Fantasy VII” and Ryu from “Street Fighter.” “Super Smash Bros.” is easy to pick up but a challenge to master, so whether you have a lot of experience with games or none at all, this game is the perfect way to spend an afternoon with your residence hall mates and some of everyone’s favorite gaming characters.

“Mariokart 8”

Platform: Wii U

Even in today's world where many hyperrealistic racing games with accurate physics and deep immersion are being sold constantly, there is still room for this chaotic and charming classic. “Mariokart 8” is a cart racing game with Mario characters and wacky items that add a layer of spontaneity to the game. There are few moments in gaming that can make a room erupt in shouting and laughter faster than when someone in first place in “Mariokart” gets hit with a blue shell, allowing all of their friends to pass them by. “Mariokart” has always been a great cross section between dedicated gamers and people who don't play games because the unpredictability helps to even the playing field, and nearly everyone, gamer or not, knows characters such as Mario, Peach and Bowser. So if you ever think your friendships are going a little too well, put “Mariokart 8” on at a party and watch the chaos unfold.

"Rocket League"

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC

“Rocket League” is a remarkably unique game that seemed to come out of nowhere last year and rose to great success. In “Rocket League,” players control RC cars and use them to play a soccer-like game in which they try to hit a large ball into their opponent’s goal by jumping and boosting. While the game sounds strange, once players get into it, many of them fall in love with it. The cars control like they do in other games — they can drive forwards, reverse, brake, drift and boost. These controls limit the player’s ability to move freely as they must reverse and line up to the ball if they miss it, but it’s these limitations that make the game interesting. Each player has the exact same set-up, meaning that being able to score comes down to figuring out how to time and angle jumps and boosts. This leads to intense goal line showdowns, epic saves and unbelievable comebacks that create incredible memories with friends you are playing with or against. 

“Divekick”

Platforms: PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC

If you’ve ever complained about being bad at fighting games because the controls and mechanics are too complicated, then “Divekick” is probably the perfect game for you. “Divekick” is a 2D fighting game with only two attacks – dive and kick. “Divekick” is a spoof on fighting games like “Street Fighter” that have moves where their characters unrealistically leap and performs a diving kick downwards. “Divekick” is based solely on this mechanic meaning that players are essentially only moving at horizontal angles and the first one to land a divekick on the other wins the round, and the first to win five rounds wins the match. This simple mechanic is great for large groups because it’s easy to understand and leads to many ridiculous moments when characters are flying around the screen trying to avoid being divekicked. “Divekick” may not have much depth, but, at $4.99 on PS4, Xbox One and Steam, it can be an inexpensive night of fun for students looking for something fun to do with a group of friends.