Historic home burns near law school

<p>Columbia Fire Department responds to reports of the&nbsp;historic Horry-Guignard House near USC's law school&nbsp;catching fire.</p>
Columbia Fire Department responds to reports of the historic Horry-Guignard House near USC's law school catching fire.

The Horry-Guignard House, one of Columbia's oldest homes, caught fire on Thursday morning. 

The historic house is located on Senate Street near the USC's new School of Law campus. The home reportedly survived William Sherman's march during the Civil War, and, according to the S.C. Department of Archives and History, was likely built by Peter Horry, South Carolina militia brigadier general, in the early 19th century.

The house was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

The Columbia-Richland Fire Department and police officers responded to reports of the fire, arriving on the scene and occupying the intersection of Senate and Pickens streets as visible smoke rose through a burned-through hole in the roof. 

"We got called for a commercial structure fire," Assistant Columbia Fire Chief Jamie Helms said. "On arrival, we found two homes that are being restored [for] historical preservation."

Helms said that responders found fire in the attic area of the house and made their way to the roof to extinguish it.

"The fire is under control. We have no injuries at this time," Helms told The Daily Gamecock. "The fire is being investigated both with the fire department and with USCPD."

The fire won't jeopardize its status on the National Register, according to Ehren Foley of the State Archive and Historic Preservation Office.

"The National Register doesn't require it to be rebuilt if it's damaged or destroyed," Foley said. "If it is rebuilt, the [Design/Development Review Commission] would have input and oversight over what goes back."