Assessing reasonable expectations for South Carolina's receivers

The inexperience of South Carolina's wide receiving corp cannot be overstated. Of the seven wide out options listed on South Carolina's depth chart prior to the Vanderbilt game, only three saw game action last year and they compiled 17 combined receptions. 

Redshirt sophomore Deebo Samuel is slated to be the team's primary receiving target after appearing in just five games last season. But perhaps no one embodies the corp as a whole better than Samuel, because, in addition to his lack of seasoning, he also offers an incredibly high ceiling. Against Clemson, Samuel harnessed his electrifying speed to rip off a 48-yard slant as part of a career best 104-yard performance. 

Even though the players are similar physically and both are hyperathletic, it is unfair to expect Samuel to replace Pharoh Cooper's production. Cooper's field vision and route efficiency are on an elite level and Samuel will simply need to log more snaps before he can even be mentioned in a conversation with No. 11. 

When the bar is set at a more reasonable level, Samuel is a pretty appealing option. Samuel, like the rest of his fellow receivers, is going to require patience. But if you accept that there are going to be a fair share of dropped passes and missed routes, you can also expect more of those game-changing plays. 

The same can probably be presumed about standout freshman Bryan Edwards, although at 6-foot-3, Edwards has more of the prototypical raw tools to be a vertical threat for the Gamecocks.  Edwards was one of the top recruits in his class and demonstrated that he was ready to step in and contribute immediately during the spring and summer practices. At times during those practices, Edwards was hampered by a knee injury sustained during his prep career. 

The ultra-versatile redshirt junior Jamari Smith will finally get a chance to settle in at wide out after playing on both sides of the ball as well as on special teams during his collegiate career. Redshirt sophomore Terry Googer is one of South Carolina's most physical pass-catching options and recorded five catches for 74 yards last season.

Freshmen Korey Banks, Randrecous Davis and Chavis Dawkins will all have the opportunity to earn more prominent roles as the season progresses.

Lorenzo Nunez, who passed for 376 yards while playing quarterback last season, is continuing to make the transition to wide receiver. Nunez isn't considered to be game-ready at this point but could offer South Carolina some flexibility at the position later in the season if he can continue to develop at the position.

While there is no true No. 1 option for South Carolina's potential quarterbacks, one could argue there is more depth this season at the position. Expect to see the ball spread all over the field rather than to a single primary target. 

There will undoubtedly be some hiccups along the way, but with time this young group of receivers could evolve to be one of the bright spots on a roster filled with uncertainty. As the Gamecocks look to rebuild their roster in 2016, they may be better equipped to offer their young receivers that required time than they would in be in previous seasons.