How to vote in USC's top 5 states

South Carolina 

Registration Deadline: Oct. 9 online, Oct. 11 by mail

The Palmetto State allows you to register to vote online. All you need is your driver's license or a state issued ID. You can also register to vote in person in your home county or mail, fax or email a form.

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline: Nov. 4

If you're unable to travel back to your hometown on election day to vote at your polling place, you can vote absentee. You can do so in person at your county voter registration office, and if you do that option, you have to follow all photo ID laws.The most common way to vote absentee is to vote by mail. You can get the request form online and can mail it in until four days before the election. A ballot will then be mailed to you, and you have until 7 p.m. on election day to return it.

North Carolina 

Registration Deadline: Oct. 14

Registering to vote in the Tar Heel State requires you to fill out a form. If this is your first time registering to vote or you're changing your political party, you have to mail in the form so they have your original signature.

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline: Nov. 1

You also have to complete a form to request an absentee ballot if you can't make it to your polling place on Nov. 8. But this form can always be mailed in, faxed or emailed. Your ballot materials will then be mailed to you.

New Jersey 

Registration Deadline: Oct. 18

Jersey residents need to complete the appropriate registration form for their county. That form can then be mailed to your county's election official.

The Garden State refers to absentee voting as simply voting by mail. Just like when registering to vote, you need to complete the form for your county. College students have to mail in the form to their county clerk rather than email or fax.

Virginia 

Registration Deadline: Oct. 17

Virginia residents can register to vote online. You can also do so in person at various locations including public libraries and the DMV or mail in a form.

Virginia Gamecocks can also request their absentee ballot online. You can also email, fax or mail in your request form. The ballot will then be mailed to you.

Maryland 

Registration Deadline: Oct. 18

Maryland also has an online voter registration system. You also have the option to complete a form and mail it in to either the State Board of Elections or your county.

If you have a Maryland driver's license or state issued ID you can request your absentee ballot online using the state's voter registration system. You can also submit the application by email, fax or by mail.