'Lead the Way' panelists discuss national security

<p>Panelists come together in USC's Leadership and Service Center to lead a forum on national security and ensure that students are registered to vote.</p>
Panelists come together in USC's Leadership and Service Center to lead a forum on national security and ensure that students are registered to vote.

Two active duty army majors and one congressman were on the panel in Lead The Way's last of six forums on Tuesday night. The panelists discussed national security in regards to terrorism and both domestic and foreign affairs from a military standpoint.

U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson showed his concern for the United States’ current military status, stating that we have "the smallest army since 1939, the smallest air force since it was created in 1947, the smallest navy since 1916."

"With terrorists safe havens in 28 countries today, the American people are at risk," Wilson said. 

Active duty Army Maj. Emily Freeman talked about the issue that radicalization inside of the United States presents to national security. She said that there are efforts in the U.S. to de-radicalize "people who have been intercepted on their way out of the country attempting to join ISIS," and that it is a question of how we "can interdict and stop that message from coming into the United States." 

Freeman also said it is "the U.S. Army's mission is to fight and win America's wars," and that her job is to "ensure that that 18-year-old with a rifle can come home." 

Wilson expressed his unease about the United States' policy for receiving Syrian refugees.

"I'm very concerned about bringing people into our country at a time where ISIS has said they're going to be sending agents," Wilson said. "We've got a real tragic situation of people coming to our country with the full intent of mass murder." 

The congressman does not "think we're doing the people of Syria a favor" by allowing Syrian refugees to enter the United States. He stated that the people should "stay in their region to be working for a democratic change in their country." 

Jamal Khan, an active duty major in the U.S. army, also spoke of the military.

"We need to be a force that is regionally engaged and globally responsible," Khan said. 

This forum on national security was the last of six Lead The Way forums at USC. Over the past few weeks, Lead The Way has registered over 4,000 people to vote at USC and over 5,000 people between USC and Clemson.