USC chamber orchestra holds 'Phantom of the Opera' performance

The USC Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Donald Portnoy, will be presenting a multimedia concert tonight as they play alongside the 1925 silent film “The Phantom of the Opera."

The concert is $8 at the door for students, or $20 for a general admission ticket. The event will start at 7:30 p.m. and will feature guest organist Dennis James and a soprano singer.

Charlene Rackley, head coordinator for the event, explained that the chamber orchestra has been working meticulously on this event since the start of the semester. The original idea came from James, who has been around the world playing alongside silent films. James owns two production companies that he travels with, and since nothing like this has been done in Columbia before, they decided to come and hold this type of event. Along with performing around the world, James has also scored music for films and has played a large role in the revival of silent films alongside music.

The original film “Phantom of the Opera” will be playing behind the live musical performance. The musical score requires skill and detailed attention to create suspense for the silent film. Based on a French novel, the central story of this film follows a lovely soprano named Christine as she becomes the obsession of a mysterious man with immense musical genius and a disfigured face.  The Phantom was one of lead actor Lon Chaney's most famous roles, and the film has also been ranked by historians in the top ten films ever created. Since its release, it has prompted five separate remakes and a Broadway musical.

The event is a one-night event and will be held in room 101 at the Darla Moore School of Business.