Foreign Film Festival will expose students to languages, culture

<p>A film from Denmark, "A Royal Affair," exposes students to movies and film techniques from another part of the world.</p>
A film from Denmark, "A Royal Affair," exposes students to movies and film techniques from another part of the world.

Carolina Productions will be hosting a Foreign Film Festival in Russell House, which will include movies produced from various countries around the world and spoken in various languages. They will be shown in Russell House Theater Nov. 14 - 18 at no charge for students.

This new event contrasts with the usual choices of mainstream American movies shown on the weekends. It gives Carolina a little taste of cinema outside of the U.S.

Partnering with International Student Services (ISS), Carolina Productions decided to bring some diversity to its film schedule. The hope was not only that American students enjoyed the films, but that exchange students might enjoy seeing something from where they are from.

Laura Nist, the cinematic art coordinator for Carolina Productions, expanded on the event and Carolina Production’s hopes for the outcome.

“I think this event benefits the UofSC community in that it is making more of an effort to include international students and hopefully make them feel even more welcome," Nist said. "I also think it is offering the chance for American students to understand and connect better with the international students and where they came from. This event really has the potential to bring people from all over together.”

There are seven different movies being shown, each from a different part of the world. While most of the movies have many portions spoken in English, they also have subtitled portions that further enhance the culture of their place of production.

“When picking which countries would be represented we looked at where a majority of our international students were from,” Nist explained, “and not focusing too much on any one area of the globe.”

Many of the films go into detail on major issues dealt with within the country or culture, although all of the films have a main cinematic entertainment aspect. From a musical, to a horror film, to a romance and a drama, the film festival covers many genres and allows students to hear different languages and experience movies as they appear from other countries.

Not only were the films chosen because of their roots in culture or their originating country, Carolina Productions worked side-by-side with ISS to find popular films that would be both entertaining and insightful.

“Let the Right One In” (Sweden)

Nov. 14, 8 p.m.

Rated R

98% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Oskar, a young boy, befriends a mysterious girl who appears in town around the same time multiple murders occur. Even after discovering her secret, Oskar continues being her friend.

“A Royal Affair” (Denmark)

Nov. 15, 8 p.m.

Rated R

89% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Based on a true story, a queen and her royal doctor fall in love and begin an affair. A revolution arises from their relationship.

“Mediterranea” (Burkina Faso / Italy)

Nov. 16, 8 p.m.

Rated NR

89% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

This film follows the plight of African migrants as they travel to Europe to start a new life, facing violence and crises left and right.

“Una Noche” (Cuba)

Nov. 17, 6 p.m.

Rated NR

81% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

This drama follows Raul, a man convicted of assault, in his journey of escaping from Havana, Cuba, to flee to Miami.

“Om Shanti Om” (India)

Nov. 17, 9 p.m.

Rated PG-13

73% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

In this Hindi musical, the plot follows two seemingly star-crossed lovers as they find their way back to one another after being reincarnated.

“Lemon Tree” (Israel / Palestine)

Nov. 18, 6 p.m.

Rated PG

93% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Widow Salma Zidane has lemon trees in front of her house that were planted by her great-grandparents. When the Israeli minister of defense moves in next door and demands for the trees to be cut down, Salma hires a lawyer to help her and starts to fall in love with him.

“I Saw the Devil” (South Korea)

Nov. 18, 9 p.m.

Rated NR

80% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

An evil murderer who has continuously eluded the police kills the pregnant fiancé of special agent Soo-hyun, who is filled with the need for vengeance, and he himself begins to blur the lines of good and evil.