Happy Birthday: books, movies and albums celebrating anniversaries this year

While 2017 brings promises of new blockbusters, classic albums and page-turning books, it is also the anniversary of many fan-favorites from the past few decades. Classics like “The Princess Bride,” “Dirty Dancing” and “Spaceballs” are ringing in their 30th anniversaries this year, but may other pop culture phenomena are celebrating milestones in the upcoming months.

Star Wars

One of the most popular franchises in history is celebrating its 40th anniversary on May 25. To celebrate the release of “Star Wars: A New Hope,” Disney will release 48 variant covers depicting scenes from the iconic movie, and Star Wars released a special 40th anniversary logo.

Festivals, viewings and conventions will pop up around the world to allow fans to commemorate the release of the movie. The biggest celebration will take place in Orlando, Florida, on April 13-16. The annual “Star Wars Celebration” will feature special guests, events and previews for Star Wars fans.

At the end of the year, the “Star Wars” saga continues with Episode VIII, which will premiere on Dec. 15. The celebrations and premiere of the latest movie will be especially heartfelt with the recent passing of Star Wars star Carrie Fisher — fans have started a petition to make Leia an official Disney Princess as a way of honoring Fisher’s memory.

Harry Potter

Arguably the other biggest franchise in history, "Harry Potter" is turning 20 this year (the book, not the wizard). On June 26, Muggles around the world will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the release of J.K. Rowling’s first novel “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.”

The book launched an incredibly successful book series, movie franchise, internet empire and even amusement parks. Still as relevant as it was in 1997, Bloomsbury Press will recognize the birthday of “Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone’s” birthday with a re-release of Hogwarts House-specific covers.

Rowling and Bloomsbury are also teaming up with the British Library in London to create a Harry Potter exhibition for fans. The exhibit will feature readings that inspired Rowling and will be open starting in October.

If the exhibition and re-release are not enough to satisfy your Harry Potter cravings, Harry Potter World at Universal Orlando will host a Harry Potter celebration later this month. 

"The Shack," William P. Young 

The fictional book that casts God as an African American woman was probably your mom’s favorite book of 2007. The book, which turns 10 in May, was adapted for the silver screen and will premiere on March 3 and stars Sam Worthington, Octavia Spencer and Tim McGraw. 

"The Bee Movie" 

Within the last few months, the internet has become entranced with “The Bee Movie.” The newly-minted cult classic turns 10 this year; you can celebrate by wearing the entire script on a T-shirt or watching on the innumerable YouTube videos like “The entire bee movie but every time they say bee it gets faster.”

Other movies, shows and albums turning 10 this year include:

“Graduation,” Kanye West 

“Big Bang Theory”

“Mad Men”

“Juno”

“Superbad”

“Good Girl Gone Bad,” Rihanna

“In Rainbows,” Radiohead

“City of Bones,” Cassandra Clare

Turning 20:

“Titanic”

“South Park”

“Buffy The Vampire Slayer”

“Hercules”

“The Fifth Element”

“Wu-Tang Forever,” Wu Tang Clan

“Be Here Now,” Oasis

“The Colour and The Shape,” Foo Fighters