'More Life' Brings new life to Drake's artistic Image

Album: "More Life"

Release Date: March 18

Label: Young Money Entertainment and Cash Money Records 

Rating: A

Sound samples, featured guest artists and relaxed vibes flow throughout Drake’s latest release, reflecting a new take on this famous rapper’s artistic image. It seems as if there is purposeful lack of emphasis on Drake’s voice in many of the tracks because of the abundance of mixed beats and sound samples that appear in interludes, breaking up his verses. However, this creates a laid back, intriguing feel that leaves the listener relaxed yet curious as to the purpose and message of the interludes.

Drake partners with artists including 2 Chainz, Travis Scott, Young Thug and Kanye West to create a chill, dream-like musical experience throughout the album. This elite artist lineup doesn't disappoint.

Some of the tracks, such as "Madiba Riddim," "Blem" and "Passionfruit," carry a beachy, almost Jamaican vibe, letting the listener slide into a peaceful haze of melodious sound that’s perfect for a scenic drive or relaxing with some friends.

One of the underlying mantras of "More Life" outlines the theme of lost love, conveyed in tracks including "Fake Love," "Teenage Fever" and "Since Way Back." Drake seems to emphasize his mixed feelings when searching for genuine relationships in the midst of distrust — are they after his fame, fortune or actual friendship?

Groovy, blues-like tracks such as "Get It Together" with strong female lead Jorja Smith contrast with the intense, harsher lyrics of other tracks like "No Long Talk," featuring Giggs. This contrast is largely exemplary of Drake’s style: He produces your favorite dance songs at the club, your driving jams and the soulful, emotional songs you belt out the lyrics to.

Drake seems to tell his life story throughout the album, highlighting moments that make him look particularly elite, such as the lyric “I make too much these days to ever say 'poor me,'” in the track "Free Smoke," yet also mixes his confident attitude with dramatic, often sad moments in his life, rapping about seeing his friends die toward the end of the same song. 

Characteristic of his tone in many of his hit tracks, Drake continues rhyming with an air of confidence and pride in his success, yet sings so smooth and charmingly that you don't seem to mind. This is easily the kind of album you get lost in and forget to keep track of time while listening.

Featuring smooth, chill vibes with emotionally diverse lyrics, "More Life" definitely enriches my view of Drake’s creative image. In comparison to his previous album "Views," released in April of last year, "More Life" seems to convey a closer, more personal look into Drake’s life and feelings. It’s as if sound samples were collected from certain memories throughout Drake’s life, combined with Drake’s free styled thoughts about these times and then set to music. The album could easily be the score to a movie about Drake’s fuzzy memories drifting in and out as he dreams.

An artist of diverse creativity, Drake yet again captures his audience with a new take on typical rap beats with voice samples and beachy vibes, bringing more to the life of music.