Sheriff's Department report details Stadium Suites kidnapping, robbery

Pair of USC students held at gunpoint, robbed of money, golf clubs, more

default news
default news

Two male USC students were kidnapped and robbed outside a Stadium Suites apartment early Tuesday morning, according to the Richland County Sheriff's Department incident report.

The report details the students' account of their abduction. They were moving to Stadium Suites from The Retreat, and around 2 a.m. Tuesday, "three black male subjects" approached them. Two of the subjects were armed with handguns, the report says. The subjects told the students to drive them to the Shell gas station on at the corner of Bluff Road and S. Beltline Blvd. in a Kia belonging to one of the students. At the gas station, the students withdrew an unknown amount of money from the ATM.

After this, the report says, the subjects took the students to an area somewhere off Zion Avenue, where they took a television and an XBOX 360 from the car. The subjects took the students back to Stadium Suites, where they picked up a Jeep belonging to the second student. 

They drove to an area near Jim Hamilton Airfield. The subjects told the students to remove their clothes, then left in the students' cars, leaving their clothes behind, the report says. 

One of the students said that at one point a subject "asked him if he knew about 'Russian Roulette'," placed a gun to his chest and pulled the trigger, but "with no discharge," according to the report.

The students reported to police that the subjects appeared to be between 14 and 25; one was clearly shorter and younger, another was in his late teens, and one subject claimed to be 25. In addition to the TV and XBOX 360, the subjects took video games, controllers, golf clubs, several pairs of shoes and the students' phones.

According to a separate report, police later found the students' cars off Sands Street.

Early Wednesday morning, a student was held at gunpoint outside her Village at Columbia apartment and taken to an ATM to withdraw money, as confirmed by a separate police report. Police have not established a link between these two crimes at this time. 

This is a developing story. We will continue to update as information becomes available.