Tapp's to host experimental art environment

A long-time venue for many artistic outlets, Tapp's Art Center will continue to live up to its eccentric reputation this weekend as a "laboratory for social engagement" by hosting The Monochromatic. 

Tickets are $8 and can be purchased online through Tapp’s Art Center; the event begins at 9 p.m. According to organizer and showrunner Lee Garrett, The Monochromatic is  an "immersive art live music environment.” It will be an evening of lucid experiences in a setting devoid of color.

“The feeling for the evening, an absence of color, attempts to remind us how little it takes to excite an active imagination,” Garrett said.

Garrett has organized similar events in the past while managing Scenario, a Columbia arts collective. Last year, the group ran eight shows and two galleries.

On July 28, The Monochromatic will feature local bands including Soft Focus and E.T Anderson, as well as Charlotte-based, progressive indie group Hectorina.

In addition to live music, The Monochromatic will include projections, art installations and a black and white gallery featuring three local photographers.

“Creativity is an intersectional study," Garrett said. "We're connecting the pieces to make photography feel like music and sound like installation art. We believe inspiration is a state of being, and by exposing diverse media to a curious and excited audience, hopefully we can all start cross-poll[i]nate each other's ideas."