LASO, OMSA host Hispanic Heritage Month

default news
default news

Hispanic pride will be on full display throughout campus this fall as the Carolina community recognizes Hispanic Heritage Month.

The nationwide celebration of Hispanic culture from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 serves as a way for Americans to learn about and appreciate the cultures, histories and arts of Spain, Latin America, South America and the Caribbean.

"At the University of South Carolina, we celebrate the history, diverse cultures, and contributions that Hispanics and Latinx Americans have made through a variety of events that are open to the university community," OMSA assistant director Lashawna Wright said.

This year, the Latin American Student Organization and Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer several celebrations and events for the occasion. 

"Our signature event is the Hispanic Heritage Month Kickoff on Friday, September 15th from 11:00am-2:00pm on Greene Street," Wright said. "This is a highlight of food, music dance and entertainment from some Latin American countries."

Another event to be held by LASO is their Dominos and Dominoes night. This event, which will be held on Sept. 27, is an opportunity for students to eat pizza and play a classic game from Hispanic culture. 

"Some of our events included, Noche de Juegos, Salsa Night, Hispanic Heritage Month Kickoff and Latinas y Feministas. Throughout the month, our office also hosts dialogues series to ignite awareness of issues affecting Hispanic and Latinx people." Wright said.

LASO is also hosting a seminar on undocumented and queer individuals in rural America on Sept. 20 as well as two canvas painting events in partnership with OMSA on Oct. 4. Along with these are many events over the course of the month allowing students to fully immerse themselves in Hispanic cultures.