Farewell from Student Body President Ross Lordo

To My Carolina Family,

Thank you.

A little over a year ago, you gave me the privilege of embarking on what has been a remarkable and life changing journey – to represent you. 

The spirit, passion and love that our community has for the University of South Carolina is inspiring. Through all the ups and downs over the past year, we have continued to believe in each other. We have come together knowing that as Gamecocks, we are more than just ourselves; We are a family.

With your support, we have made Student Government more collaborative, effective and stronger than ever. We successfully laid the critical groundwork for a new student union, ultimately seeing the Board of Trustees take steps to begin funding what will be a tremendous capital project. We implemented the first digital CarolinaCards in history, founded our campus’s new Student Sustainability Fund, created the Open Educational Resources (OER) Award to incentivize faculty members to decrease textbook costs and even helped manage the annual Homecoming Cockstock concert, which attracted close to 8,000 students. We took our advocacy to a whole new level, testifying at the Statehouse for a student vote on the University Board of Trustees. Furthermore, we established the South Carolina Student Collaborative for state-wide advocacy for years to come. When the time came to elect new leadership, our elections commission excelled, shattering turnout records and reaffirming the trust our students have in Student Government’s mission and future leaders. 

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to serve you this past year. While I undoubtedly know you have changed me for the better, it is my sincere hope that I have left behind a few positive changes here on our campus. Representing a diverse student population of over thirty thousand was challenging at times but thrilling nonetheless, as each day brought new opportunities. I will never be able to adequately express my gratitude to each one of you. Thank you for believing that together, our voice can be heard. 

Stay involved, ask questions and believe in the impact we can have together. Change is never easy, but that makes it all the more important. Though we come from different backgrounds, we are forever united in our bond as Carolinians. 

Serving as your Student Body President has been the honor of my life. I see a bright future ahead for all of us, but it is up to each of you to keep improving on that better tomorrow.

Forever to thee, 

Ross F. Lordo

Student Body President 2017-2018