South Carolina fans appreciate new location of SEC Media Days

Miniature footballs and white, garnet and black clothing filled the first floor of the College Football Hall of Fame Thursday as many South Carolina fans waited on their football team to arrive.

This year's location in Atlanta, Georgia made it more convenient for South Carolina fans to attend, which brought much anticipation. 

"We drove from Columbia this morning so it's great to be here in Atlanta," said South Carolina fan John Banks. "A lot to do here in town. We'll stay the night and we'll go to Mercedes Benz and all while we're here. I think it's great to be in Atlanta." 

Banks is looking forward to South Carolina's upcoming season and the potential that the Gamecocks have to beat the best in the SEC. 

"I've got big expectations," Banks said. "I think Will and the guys have done a tremendous job ... in two short years, we went from a three-win team to a nine-win team and have a lot of confidence in the way they've been developing the kids, not necessarily having the absolute top line talent, but they've been able to coach them up and really get them playing well."

Phil Upton, a South Carolina fan since the age of six, brought his son Maddox Thursday morning to attend the SEC Media Day. The Gamecock pride that the Uptons carried was evident as they prepared to see Deebo Samuel, Jake Bentley, D.J. Wonnum and Will Muschamp.

Upton and other fans were thrilled to experience the media day a little closer to their home, Columbia. 

"I hope that they can continue to have it here," Upton said. 

Upton has high expectations for the Gamecocks as they endure a tough schedule and open up their conference play with a home game against Georgia on Sept. 8.