A guide to game day at Williams-Brice

A Saturday at Williams-Brice Stadium with over 80,000 other Gamecock fans is unlike any other. The atmosphere and pageantry of game day in Columbia is considered one of the best not only in the SEC, but in the country. That being said, it can be overwhelming, so here is what you need to know before the season opener on Sept. 1. 

Tailgating: 

Other than the game itself, tailgating is a major part of anyone’s game day experience. Luckily, there are lots of options within walking distance to the stadium. Some of the most popular spots are the fraternity lots and Memorial Lot. Both of these are a short walk from Williams-Brice and have the traditional tailgating scene that you would expect at an SEC school. For those looking for a more laid-back atmosphere, the Fairgrounds are another good choice. These lots are directly across from the stadium in a perfect location. These spots aren’t available for the Missouri and Texas A&M games due to the fair in town, but it is still a good choice for those looking for convenience and for a quieter tailgate. No matter which lot you go to, you can expect to have a good time with fellow Gamecock fans before the game. 

Sandstorm: 

It’s not gameday without "Sandstorm." This hit song from 2000 is played after the Gamecocks score, during key moments and at the start of the game before kick off. Whenever Sandstorm blares through the stadium loudspeakers, fans wave their white towels in the air, and chant “USC! USC! USC!” creating one of the most unique atmospheres in the SEC. This tradition is amplified when the Gamecocks play at night. No matter how many games you’ve seen, it’s a part of game day that never gets old.  

2001: 

This tradition is almost impossible to explain — you have to see it to believe it. It began in 1983, and is as popular as ever. There is nothing like hearing "2001: A Space Odyssey" with everyone waving their white towels in the air. With Cocky at midfield, and the team running out through smoke and with fire towers above them, it’s almost impossible to not have chills up your spine. You’ll want to be in your seat early to experience arguably the best part of game day.  

Alma Mater: 

After every game, the players and fans sing the alma mater, regardless of the score. Fans will put their arms around each other and sway as they sing the university’s alma mater. If you’re a freshman and don’t know the words the words yet, don’t worry — you should catch on pretty quickly. At the end, everyone raises their right hand as if making a toast while singing the last verse, “Here’s a health Carolina, forever to thee!”