Gamecocks to play a 12th football game on Dec. 1

After USC's football game against Marshall was canceled in September due to Hurricane Florence, it was unclear whether the Gamecocks would make up the game previously scheduled for Sept. 15. 

At a press conference at Williams-Brice Stadium on Tuesday, head football coach Will Muschamp alleviated those concerns about playing a 12th game. 

“I’m very confident we'll be playing December first” said Muschamp. “I don’t know against who; that’s (athletics director) Coach Tanner. I’ll let him handle that.” 

There was speculation about playing a team during the previously scheduled bye week, which was on Oct. 20. That date has obviously passed, but Muschamp was adamant from the beginning about not playing on that date, since the Gamecocks would have played 10 straight weeks without a break. 

“I’m not sure playing 10 straight games is what’s best for the student-athletes. That’s very difficult,” Muschamp said on his radio show in September.

And while the date for a 12th game has been set, the opponent for the game is still to be determined. 

The Marshall Thundering Herd, who were originally scheduled to play the Gamecocks on September 15, are in contention for the C-USA Championship Game, which would also take place on Dec. 1. If the Thundering Herd are in that game, South Carolina will have to find another opponent for a make-up game.  

The Thundering Herd currently have a 5-2 record and are tired for second place in the C-USA East. 

Southern Miss was another school that had a game canceled this season, but there has been no word from the athletic department or from athletics director Ray Tanner about a specific opponent. However, Tanner has confirmed in the past that he has been in discussion with other schools. 

Regardless of what team is scheduled, the Gamecocks will be playing a rare December home game, and could have an impact on a potential bowl game for South Carolina.