James E. "Jim" Clyburn (D) I

James E. "Jim" Clyburn (D) I

Background:

Former public school teacher, former Executive Director of the South Carolina Commission for Farm Workers, former South Carolina Human Affairs Commissioner.

Issues:

Supports funding methods in federal legislation that requires at least 10 percent of appropriated funds go to communities where 20 percent or more of their populations have lived below the poverty level for the last 30 years, supports the Voting Rights Act, supports electronic voter registration, supports same day voter registration, supports voter refranchisement for felons, supports requiring universities that receive federal funds to offer and encourage voter registration for students, supports legislation that would require voters be notified when their polling station changes location, supports legislation that would bar election officials from political campaigns, supports the creation of a National Voter Hotline for reporting voting problems, supports blocking attempts to cut Medicaid and Medicare funding, supports funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program, supports Medicaid expansion, supports expanding community health centers, supports the ACA, supports permitting the government to negotiate with pharmaceutical manufacturers on prices, supports legal aid and emergency assistance for people who are going to be evicted, supports mortgage modification and assistance programs for homeowners, supports increased funding for public housing, supports an infrastructure redevelopment plan.