Ukrainian student cultivates photography business

Only two years ago, third-year Russian and media arts student Nathan Crane started his own self-titled photography business, Nathan Crane Productions. Crane's business has since been successful and he believes you don't need a degree to pursue what you want to achieve. 

"The biggest thing that separates those who are successful in the media world and those who are not," he said, "is how much you complain about what you are doing, or the process or circumstances of what you're doing, and then going out and fixing it."

For Crane, photography and videography have provided a worthy avenue through which to communicate his experiences and his passion. Having grown up in Ukraine as the son of missionary parents, Crane strives to communicate the messages received from home through photo and video. 

“My father is a doctor … he teaches medical English classes to students who are interested in learning about the American healthcare system and the language," Crane said. "My mom does a lot of work with orphans and orphan ministry."

As a teenager, Crane was already cultivating his passions into something bigger. 

“I spent a lot of my time in Ukraine … writing and producing, spending time out in the city, photographing and just being with my Ukrainian friends,” he said. "[I was] really heavily involved in the ministry world, so involved heavily with my Ukrainian church and their youth ministry as well.” 

After moving to the U.S. for college, Crane quickly found himself anxious to pursue his work. 

“I’m an impatient guy. So when I want something, I’m going to do what I can to get it as soon as possible.” 

In late 2016, Nathan Crane Productions was born. This year, the company has achieved a major milestone through its registration as a limited liability company. Crane now spends hours photographing and editing work for weddings and ministry events. Most recently, he has been working on a documentary centered around youth movements in Ukraine following the 2014 Euromaidan Revolution, which sparked major political change in Ukraine and resulted in a new government.

“I was there solo. So for me it was scary because I had no idea what I was doing for a production, I didn’t know what the process was … so it was super exciting in that sense,” Crane said. 

The documentary, titled “Beyond Revolution: What’s God Doing in Ukraine?,” was released Sept. 1. In the midst of mastering his own artistic challenges, Crane had the opportunity to meet and interact with the voices of the movements.

“[I met] a lot of people that have a heart for youth, and seeing the youth and the future and next generations of Ukraine kind of step up and take the mantle that is put before them, and the changes in the culture that have happened since the revolution" Crane said, "And that was absolutely fantastic to meet them.” 

Using his talents to advocate for the youth of Ukraine became a passion project for Crane over the summer, and today he continues to work to capture moments and communicate through them, whether it be through an expansive documentary or a set of wedding photos.

“I like to not be seen when I’m shooting, so that way I have the realest, most genuine setting … I don’t want the bride or groom to really know I’m there or to feel my presence,” Crane said. “I want them to be acting as they are … it's just absolutely beautiful to have those genuine moments."

Through passion and perseverance, Crane has been able to realize his vocation in a feasible way. After graduation, he plans to move his business up north and continue building his portfolio. Citing hard work as his guide, he calls upon young photographers and media artists to do the same. 

“Don’t stop shooting. Just keep shooting.”