Column: Back to the basics

The South Carolina football team has found itself in a rut after not meeting preseason expectations. Now, it's obvious to both fans and head coach Will Muschamp that the Gamecocks have lost sight of the core skills needed to win a game.

"We just need to do the basic fundamentals. That's what we need to do better," Muschamp said. "We had some guys open that we missed. We had some guys (where) we threw the ball to that didn't catch it. We fell down running for a touchdown. I mean, there were just simple things we need to do better."

After their fifth loss to Kentucky in a row, the Gamecocks need drastic improvements on offense. Specifically not forcing turnovers and completing passes.  

These changes are within reach for South Carolina. Despite losing lineman D.J. Wonnum and wide receiver OrTre Smith to injuries, the Gamecocks still have the talent that they need to win games. However, South Carolina will have to step up on offense.

"We try and make this thing complex (but) it's a really simple game," Muschamp said. "We're not taking care of the football. We're not getting the ball off people. The number one goal in our organization is the ball." 

Muschamp will continue to look for "explosive plays" from his starting line-up going forward — a line-up that is not changing despite the poor performance in Lexington. He has been honest about the loss, but has retained confidence in his team. 

"He didn't play well the other night. We didn't throw and catch it very well versus Kentucky. We will call it like it is," Muschamp said. "It wasn't all on him, and at the end of they, our football team, our players, and myself have 110 percent confidence in Jake." 

Gamecock players have been equally as open about the issues with their performance. Wide receiver Bryan Edwards tweeted out after the tough loss to the Wildcats, "Let gamecock nation and my team down today. The worst game I've played in a gamecock uniform. Have to be better."

Edwards' acknowledgement shows the maturity that has reshaped the focus of South Carolina football, and that culture extends to Muschamp. 

"I think these guys have taken ownership in what we need to do as a whole, starting with me," Muschamp said. "I need to do a better job of putting guys in situations to be successful. When they're in those situations, they take ownership of what they need to do. Let's make it happen."

Clearly, culture of the Gamecock football program is not the problem. Ultimately, South Carolina players need to figure out what is keeping them from playing what even Muschamp can see is a simple game.