Jasper Johns dedicates new exhibition to the CMA

Internationally renowned artist Jasper Johns will open his exhibition, “Midcentury Masters," at the Columbia Museum of Art on Friday, Nov. 16.

“People who come to this show, they are going to see the entire collection for the very first time,” said Will South, chief curator for the CMA.

The exhibition will feature contemporary prints by Johns and other artists, as well as an introductory video about Johns. Those who are unfamiliar with Johns will have the opportunity to learn about his works and what Columbia means to him.

“The show is accessible. It’s got tons of diversity in terms of subject matter and printmaking approaches, and you walk out of here really knowing something about not only Johns, but contemporary art in the '60s, '70s and '80s,” South said.

Johns, who was spent his adolescence in South Carolina, spent a large part of his life in Columbia. To show his appreciation to the place that raised him, Johns is dedicating an exhibition to the CMA. The exhibition will include his own works, as well as pieces from Robert Rauschenberg, Josef Albers, Roy Lichtenstein, Ellsworth Kelly, Andy Warhol and others.

This is not the first time Johns has gifted an exhibition to the CMA. For the 50th anniversary of the CMA in 1999, Johns dedicated 39 works to the museum. A few of those pieces will be included in “Midcentury Masters.”

“The collection is incredible for being all of the big name printmakers of the '60s and 70s,” South said.

Johns’ career began overnight after the Museum of Modern Art bought one of his print pieces. Even after Johns progressed as an artist and began to flourish in New York, he never forgot his South Carolina roots.

Johns not only has a connection with Columbia, but also USC. The contemporary artist attended USC for three semesters.

“I think Jasper, in some ways, he got a lot from his experience at USC,” South said.

Johns is well-known for his works involving abstract expressionism, specifically his take on the American Flag. He has been referred to as “one of the most influential American artists of all time” and “South Carolina’s most famous artistic son" on the CMA's website.

“We strongly encourage everybody within shouting distance to always visit every single show if you can," South said. "There’s always something for everybody. There’s always something to get out of it, and this is one."