Student Health Services hosts "Say Boo To Flu" event

Student Health Services celebrated Halloween on Wednesday with their “Say Boo To Flu” event on the Russell House patio. The event, which marked the end of a campus-wide initiative this October to maximize vaccinations, sought to get members of the USC community vaccinated in a quick, simple and inviting way.

Students on their way in and out of Russell were encouraged to fill out a one-page form, present their Carolina Card and insurance card and get their flu shot without the need for an appointment.

Terry Hevener, a registered nurse, said that getting the USC community vaccinated was especially important.

“We’re finding for reasons unknown that the flu virus is more virulent. It’s hitting younger populations that used to be we didn’t see in the past,” she said. “Scientists say it’s not if, but when the next pandemic comes. And the way we stay on top of it? Vaccinate.”

Hevener said that universities especially are a high-risk environment during flu season.

“There’s a huge population here. And especially look where you eat, where you sleep. When you exhale, I’m inhaling. We’re that close in proximity, and the flu spreads very easily,” she said.

“Say Boo To Flu Event” helps  Student Health Services spur participation from students, who may either be too busy or nervous to visit the health center. Marjorie  Duffie, the public relations and marketing director for Student Health Services, hoped that the quick and inclusive nature of the event would encourage increased student participation for receiving the flu shot.

“I’m hoping that the majority of our campus community will   if nothing else get their flu vaccine," she said, "but also learn some tips to help prevent the flu, like making sure that they’re doing good hand washing, and that they are ... following some of those other flu prevention tips like coughing in their sleeve.”

For the first time this year, USC, in conjunction with the national “Alana’s Foundation," is competing with Clemson University to see which school can get more students vaccinated against the flu.

Students are able to self-report their vaccination online, so as to allow for vaccinations that occurred both inside and outside of the Student Health Center to be accounted for. The ultimate goal of the competition is to promote better on-campus well-being across the universities.

“Really both of us win in this competition, because we really just want people to get the flu vaccine,” noted Duffie.

Kari Gormanos, a first-year hospitality management student who got her vaccination at the event, appreciated the opportunity.

“Especially being at college, you’re more prone to getting sick rather than being at home. So by getting it, you’re taking every precaution to be as safe as possible. I just think it’s the smartest thing to do, especially now.”

Gormanos encouraged students who were nervous about getting the flu shot to “bite the bullet."

“I mean, I hate shots too, but that literally took two seconds," Gormanos said. "Now I feel good and ready for the flu season.”