Alabama natives hope to bring unique soul to Carolinas

The Brook & The Bluff, a band native to Birmingham, Alabama, is looking to bring groovy harmonies to the Carolinas with a show at New Brookland Tavern on Saturday night. The band has been growing in size and style over the last few years and has gained attention from fans across the region. 

The Brook & The Bluff is made up of frontman and vocalist Joseph Settine, drummer John Canada, guitarist Alec Bolton and bassist Fred Lankford. The band originally began as an acoustic duo with Settine and Bolton who performed together in college. The now four-man band has been performing together since 2016. 

Recently, the band made the decision to relocate to Nashville after gaining attention in Alabama. 

“Nashville is super good to us, but Birmingham is also where we’re all from and where we find a lot of identity,” Canada said. 

The band remains reminiscent of its acoustic roots with smooth vocal harmonies and added touches of steady bass and intricate guitar work. The music is soulful, yet playful, and has earned the band spots on Spotify’s U.S. and Canada Viral 50 playlists. 

The members pull inspiration from a wide range of artists, evident in their blended harmonies and vocals. 

“Frank Ocean is huge for me,” Settine said. “[channel ORANGE] and Blonde kind of made a huge impact on the songs I’ve been writing since they came out.” 

Members also cited The Beatles and Kacey Musgrave’s recent album, “Golden Hour” as inspiration for their music. 

Sequoyah Prep School and SondorBlue will also take the stage on Saturday night. The Brook & The Bluff members have become good friends with Charleston based band SondorBlue and is supporting the gjroup for four shows through the Carolinas. 

“About a year ago we got hooked up and played a show with them in Charleston and just became instant really, really good friends,” Settine said. “We love them.” 

The Brook & The Bluff will be in the studio working on a new project for much of November and December, with more national tour dates in the beginning of 2019.

The doors open at 7:30 p.m. at The New Brookland Tavern on Saturday with The Brook & The Bluff opening the show. Tickets are $25 at the door.