Student-created study abroad film selected as finalist in film festival

Former USC media arts student Siyu Zhou is one of three finalists in the IES Abroad Study Abroad Film Festival. Zhou’s film, “Come Alive,” is a mostly silent visual diary from his semester in Tokyo. 

Zhou said in an email interview he made the first part of the film silent to show "the pure and real moments of being in Japan."

"This film is for everyone that I met during studying abroad in Japan, especially for all my IES Abroad classmates, e-pals and teachers. I hope this film would keep friendship strong forever," Zhou said.

Zhou's film is titled “Come Alive” because Zhou used to be shy and said his experience studying abroad made him feel "alive through every moment."

“My purpose of making film and photography is to inspire people and make them able to feel the softest part of their hearts,” Zhou said. “This time, my purpose finally, directly effected myself and I do feel like I am coming alive by surrounding myself with the love from friends from all around the world.”

The Institute for the International Education of Students, or IES Abroad, is a 70-year-old nonprofit study abroad provider. 

The IES Abroad Study Abroad Film Festival started six years ago and features films created by students through their study abroad experience with the IES program.

Amy Ruhter McMillan, senior associate vice president of marketing and founder of the IES Abroad Study Abroad Film Festival, said she had the idea because smartphones allow students to record everything while abroad. 

“The most powerful story we have is the student story and the student telling that story,” McMillan said. 

This year, 99 films were submitted to the festival, which is the most ever submitted. The films were narrowed down to around 20 before being sent a jury, which decided the three finalists.

In regard to what made the finalists stand out, McMillan said the “perfect recipe” would be to tell a story, have amazing production quality and be entertaining and original. 

“[Zhou] did such an amazing job of making you feel something without having any text,” McMillan said.

The festival raises money for study abroad scholarships. So far, it has raised over $40,000, which equates to about 22 scholarships. The bulk of those scholarships go students who want to travel abroad but might have financial need.

Overall, IES Abroad and the IES Abroad Study Abroad Film Festival are about inspiring people to go abroad and giving them the opportunity to do so through scholarships according to McMillan.

“The biggest part of our mission is that everyone should be able to study abroad, if it’s for them, and making sure that no matter where you go to school or how much money your family has, that study abroad should be accessible to everyone,” McMillan said. 

Voting for the films takes place through Nov. 5 on the IES Abroad website and the winner will be announced Nov. 7.

Zhou is now a new media graduate student at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

“Studying abroad not only expands your view, but your heart,” Zhou said.